CNET's Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on PCs, phones, gadgets and much more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page. And find more great buys on the CNET Deals page.
Sure, you could watch a movie on your phone, tablet or even laptop -- but wouldn't you rather do it on the equivalent of a 65-inch TV that fits on your face?
That's the Avegant Glyph in a nutshell, and today I bring you the opportunity to win one of three. The grand prize is a Glyph with a carrying case (ARV $599); there are two runner-up prizes of a Glyph (BYO case, ARV $499).
The device strongly resembles a set of deluxe over-the-ear headphones, except the part that normally goes over your head goes across your eyes instead. That's where you get a pair of fully adjustable optics that deliver video from anything with an HDMI output.
Although you could certainly use it around the house, it's intended primarily for travel, as you can enjoy a big-screen movie or TV binge while on a flight or in a hotel. I had the opportunity to test one with a laptop and used it to watch some movie trailers. Though the 720p resolution sounds limited, I found the image quality to be excellent -- very bright, very sharp. And the sound quality was superb.
Speaking of sound, if you need a break from video, you can use the Glyph solely as a set of headphones.
It's a really cool product, and definitely worth throwing your hat into the prize ring. To do that, hit the comments section and answer this simple question: How would you use an Avegant Glyph? Movies? Games? Live-streaming drone video? Would you take it on trips? Okay, that's several questions, but you get my drift. Explain how this gizmo would integrate into your life.
Good luck, cheeps!
How to enter:
- Register as a CNET user (by clicking the head icon in the top-right corner of the page, then Join CNET). If you're already registered, there's no need to register again -- you just need to be logged in.
- Locate the comments section, then answer this question: "How would you use an Avegant Glyph?" Then click Post Comment.
- Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified. The winners will be chosen randomly.
- If you are chosen, you will be notified via email. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
- Entries can be submitted until Friday, May 5, at 11:59 p.m. PT.
- Some legalese: *NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the US, 18 and older, and a registered user of CNET.com. Void where prohibited. Ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on May 5, 2017. See rules for details.