My house is so dumb...
How dumb is it?!
My house is so dumb, its electrical outlets can't even connect to my smartphone so I can operate them remotely and set up schedules for things like turning lights on and off. My house is so dumb, it can't even transmit live video to me when I'm away or watch my yard at night for possible intruders.
If your house is similarly smarts-challenged, I've got just the giveaway for you. Starting today, you can enter for your chance to win a D-Link DIR-890L Wireless AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router, a DCS-5222L Cloud Camera 5000 and a DSP-W215 Wi-Fi Smart Plug. (Those are links to the product pages; the giveaway-entry info is below.)
That's the grand prize, and it has an approximate retail value (ARV) of $640. Two runner-up winners will each receive a Cloud Camera 5000 and Wi-Fi Smart Plug. Total value: $290.
Some mighty-fine home networking/smartening gear, no? To enter, start by voting in our poll (optional but very appreciated). Then leave a comment below. Here's the fine-print version:
1. Go to the Join the Discussion section below my blog post and hit the Add Your Comment button. If you're not already registered, please do so. If you're already registered, there's no need to register again -- you just need to be logged in.
2. Leave a comment below answering this question: What does the connected, Smart Home mean to you and what technology is key to achieving that?
3. Leave only one comment. You may enter for this specific giveaway only once. If you enter more than one comment, you will be automatically disqualified. The winners will be chosen randomly.
4. If you are chosen, you will be notified via email. The winner must respond within three days of the end of the sweepstakes. If you do not respond within that period, another winner will be chosen.
5. Entries can be submitted until Friday, January 23 at 11:59 p.m. PT.
*Some legalese: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the US, 18 and older, and a Registered User of CNET.com. Void where prohibited. Ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on 01/23/15. Seefor details.
Cool? Cool. Good luck!
Bonus deal: Now that this year's Super Bowl teams have been decided, it's time to give serious thought to a TV upgrade. Like this one: for a limited time, TigerDirect has the Sceptre E505BV-FMQR 50-inch HDTV for $339.99, plus around $16 for shipping. That's after redeeming a $50 mail-in rebate (PDF), though even without that, it's a pretty solid deal on a TV of this size. Notably, it has a 60Hz refresh rate, meaning you won't get the dreaded .