CNET también está disponible en español.

Ir a español

Don't show this again

Culture

Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star destroyed

Technically Incorrect: Can we blame Hillary Clinton? Can we? No, we can blame a man with a pickax and a sledgehammer.

Technically Incorrect offers a slightly twisted take on the tech that's taken over our lives.


The man who was once in a Star of David controversy suffers at the hands of a star-destroyer.

Deadline Hollywood; screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET

He's never gotten over the fact that one of the great reality shows of all time -- his own "The Apprentice" -- didn't win an Emmy.

And now this.

As first reported by Deadline Hollywood, some strange apprentice of destruction, dressed as a city worker, turned up at Donald Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame star early Wednesday morning and defaced it beyond recognition.

The police got there too late.

Curiously, video of the incident seems to have spread far and wide. The man smashes his pickax into the heart of Donald Trump's name.

Some might say that the Trump name is all that the Republican nominee has. This is, therefore, a strike at his very essence.

But as chunks of the Trump moniker came out of the ground and were picked up by his pickax assailant, you wondered first how ephemeral fame can be.

Then you wondered why this man was doing it.

Deadline says he claimed his initial intention was to take the whole star and auction it -- the proceeds going to the women who have accused the Republican candidate of various levels of sexual assault.

Sadly, removing Trump's name whole seems to have proved more difficult than the vandal thought.

There are easier ways. Perhaps he should have first sought the opinion of those in the Trump Organization who have eschewed the Trump name in new hotel projects in favor of "Scion."

Neither the Trump campaign nor the Los Angeles Police Department responded to a request for comment. I understand that no miscreant has yet been apprehended, though Newt Gingrich may go on TV at some point to accuse a joint operation helmed by Hillary Clinton and Megyn Kelly.

Still, a man named James Otis has claimed responsibility for the act, according to TMZ. He said he was a modern-day Robin Hood. He confirmed that his initial intention had been to auction off pieces of the star on Election Day and that he's prepared to do his time if he's convicted of a crime.

He said he found the actual star too difficult to secure.

"I'd love to go to court with Mr. Trump," he added. "It would be a great honor."

This isn't the first time that Trump's star has suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune-loathing.

In January, it had a swastika daubed upon it. In April, a petition was launched to have it removed altogether.

It's hard to imagine why someone who is going to make America great again would be the object of such wanton vitriol. Especially against something as purely decorative as a Hollywood Star.

Are there so many who don't want America to be great? Is there some twisted resistance to our country polishing its star once more and slinging its guns to all parts?

What next? Removing the first "T" from all the Trump buildings?

First published October 26 at 5:23 p.m. PT.
Update October 27 at 5:18 a.m. PT: Added claim of responsibility by James Otis.