My partner insisted that I not throw a mass of candles on his birthday cake this year (why, I'm not sure exactly; it might have had something to do with not wanting our guests to do advanced math), but it just didn't feel right to leave it without any illumination.
So, I decided to call on my trusty iPod Touch.
I launched the Zippo lighter application, flicked open the lighter, and promptly stuck the iPod Touch right in the frosting.
The iPod as candle was a hit with the guests, one of whom was a CNET-er who immediately posted a photo to Twitter. And AJ showed remarkable tech savvy by flicking closed the lighter as opposed to trying to blow it out.
Now, that said, I did learn a few things I can pass along to those of you who might want to try this. First of all, and this may come as a shock, but getting buttercream frosting out of an iPod dock port is not as easy as it sounds. My friends recommended--after I had already dunked the iPod--that perhaps it might be better to wrap the bottom of the device in Saran wrap.
Also, while I thought licking the frosting off the iPod was the same as licking it off a candle, I've been told that's disgusting.
To share your DIY project, simply e-mail a description of 350 words or less, including all the geeky ins and outs of your invention, plus relevant links and photos, to crave at cnet dot com. Please put DIY Weekend in the subject line.