The group claiming to have hacked Sony Pictures has warned people to stay away from theaters showing "The Interview," saying they will attack audiences who show up to see the comedy about North Korea's leader.
However, the Department of Homeland Security said it has found no evidence such a threat actually exists. "[A]t this time there is no credible intelligence to indicate an active plot against movie theaters within the United States," the DHS said in an emailed statement.
The movie is scheduled to open December 25.
"Remember the 11th of September 2001," the alleged hackers said in a threat posted Tuesday to document-sharing site PasteBin. "Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made. The world will be full of fear."
The warning was issued with links to purported emails from Sony Pictures CEO Michael Lynton, part of a cache of documents reportedly stolen from Sony in November by a group calling itself "Guardians of Peace."
The FBI confirmed it is investigating the threat but didn't say if the threat is connected to Sony's alleged hackers. Sony didn't respond to email or phone requests for comment.
Previously unknown, the "Guardians of Peace" claimed responsibility for the breach of Sony Pictures' network on November 24. They damaged computers and, and information on employees and celebrities.
Circumstantial evidence has indicated North Korea could be behind the cyberattack, including similarities in the malware used by North Korea against South Korean media companies and banks in 2013.
North Korea, which hasallegations of its involvement, expressed support for the hack.
"The hacking into Sony Pictures might be a righteous deed of the supporters and sympathizers with the DPRK [Democratic People's Republic of Korea]," a spokesman for North Korea said.
Yesterday, two former Sony employeesfor not taking necessary precautions to protect their data. They are seeking class-action status and a jury trial.