Apple's latest SuperDrive firmware update, 3.0, addresses noise issues during start up and waking from sleep. Qualifying Macs can apply this update by following these simple directions provided by an Apple knowledge base article.
Follow these steps to find out if your Mac requires this update and if the update is successfully installed:
- From the Apple () menu in the upper-left menu bar, choose About This Mac.
- Click More Info, then select Serial-ATA in the Hardware section of System Profiler.
- Select the DVD entry, and inspect the Revision field in the window below.
* On an iMac, if you see Revision: KA15 or 2AHG, your iMac needs this update. If the update has been successfully applied to an iMac, the field will be KA16 or 2AHH.
* On Mac mini computers, if you see Revision: 2AHF, your Mac mini needs this update. If the update has been successfully applied to a Mac mini computer, the field will be 2AH1.
- iMac, 20-inch, mid 2009
- iMac, 24-inch, early 2009
- Mac mini, early 2009
As always, be sure to have your content backed up before installing updates.