Check Software Update! Apple has released Safari 4.0.5, which brings a number of performance enhancements and bug fixes to Apple's browser. According to the updater, the following has been addressed:
- Performance improvements for Top Sites
- Stability improvements for 3rd-party plug-ins
- Stability improvements for websites with online forms and Scalable Vector Graphics
- Fixes an issue that prevented Safari from changing settings on some Linksys routers
- Fixes an issue that prevented some iWork.com users from commenting on documents
The update is available for Windows and OS X, but on the Mac side the specific problems addressed are issues with RSS feeds setting values in cookies, even if you have blocked cookies, and potential problems with WebKit's loading of CSS, XML, and HTML scripts that could cause arbitrary code execution or crashing.
For specifics on the issues addressed, see this Apple knowledgebase document: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4070
The Safari update is 31.8MB, and does require a restart to fully install. Be sure to back up your system before installing, and also have an alternative browser available as a backup. Keep in mind that third-party add-ons may be affected by the update, so check their functionality after updating, and be prepared to remove or reinstall them if needed.