Friday afternoon, Apple released Mac OS X 10.3.6 Update for both the client and Server versions of OS X 10.3. The "Delta" Update is available via Software Update or Web download, whereas the "Combo" version is only available via Web download (unless you haven't installed previous updates, in which case it may also be available via Software Update):
- Delta version for OS X client (14MB)
- Combo version for OS X client (92 MB)
- Delta version for OS X Server (42 MB)
- Combo version for OS X Server (118 MB)
According to Apple, the OS X client versions of the Update offers the following improvements:
The 10.3.6 Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X v10.3 "Panther" and is recommended for all users. Key enhancements include:
- improved file sharing for Mac (AFP), UNIX (NFS) and PC (SMB/CIFS) networks
- more reliable network automounts and launch of network applications
- improved OpenGL technology and updated ATI and NVIDIA graphic drivers
- additional FireWire audio and USB device compatibility
- updated Calculator, DVD Player, Image Capture, and Safari applications
- improved compatibility for third party applications
- previous standalone security updates
Detailed information on the client version of the Update can be found here.
The Server version of the update is described by the following:
The 10.3.6 Server Update delivers enhanced functionality and improved reliability for Mac OS X Server v10.3 and is recommended for all systems. Key enhancements include:
- improved performance and reliability of AFP, CIFS and NFS file services
- more reliable network automounts and application launching from /Network/Applications/
- improved interoperability with Active Directory and compatibility with the latest Windows clients
- more reliable SMTP authentication when using CRAM-MD5
- added Fibre Channel Utility application and improved Fibre Channel reliability and performance
- additional support for third party Fibre Channel storage devices
- previous standalone security updates.
Detailed information on the Server version of the Update can be found here.
As usual, we recommend users take appropriate precautions before installing the update by making sure your boot volume is in good condition and backing up any important files.