Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 continues to be a source of unwanted heat and concern.
Samsung recalled the phone almost two weeks ago and the US government has also officially warned consumers to stop using it, but new data shows consumers haven't put the explosive phones down yet. An exploding Note 7 was blamed for a car fire in Port St. Lucie, Florida, on Tuesday night.
"The driver of the car was unharmed and made statements to the police that he had been charging his Samsung 7 phone when it burst into flames," the Port St. Lucie Police Department said in a Facebook post.
Sharon Cain, the eyewitness who recorded the above video of the blaze later posted to Facebook: "A car caught fire from a charg(ing) Note Galaxy 7 on Crosstown (in) Port St. Lucie. I was told (that) the gentleman was charging his phone when he heard a loud pop (and then) the phone blew up," according to local news station WPBF.
This latest case of a Note 7 flaming out in spectacular style comes as data from app metrics firm Apteligent finds people don't seem to have stopped using their recalled Samsung phones, despite reports of fires and burns connected to an apparent manufacturing flaw that has led to some overheating batteries.
Samsung did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the reported car fire in Florida and the Note 7 usage data.
Apteligent's data shows that while adoption of the Galaxy Note 7 hasn't increased much since the first reports of exploding batteries and the ensuing recall, it hasn't really gone down either, meaning people are continuing to use the recalled phones rather than return and exchange them.
Samsung is currently exchanging the Note 7 for Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge phones or loaning users a Samsung J Series phone until a new, fixed Note 7 has been approved.