A Qualcomm executive has been given a new role after making critical comments about Apple's 64-bit A7 chip.
"Anand Chandrasekher, is moving to a new role leading our exploration of certain enterprise related initiatives...Anand will continue to report to Steve Mollenkopf, COO and President of Qualcomm. This will be effective immediately," according to a statement Qualcomm sent to CNET.
And he no longer appears on the Qualcomm leadership page.
Chandrasekher said earlier this month.
"I know there's a lot of noise because Apple did [64-bit] on their A7. I think they are doing a marketing gimmick. There's zero benefit a consumer gets from that," he said to IDG News Service.
But-- essentially retracting the statement.
"The comments made by Anand Chandrasekher, Qualcomm CMO, about 64-bit computing were inaccurate. The mobile hardware and software ecosystem is already moving in the direction of 64-bit; and, the evolution to 64-bit brings desktop class capabilities and user experiences to mobile, as well as enabling mobile processors and software to run new classes of computing devices," Qualcomm said.
Chandrasekher may have put Qualcomm in a difficult position, as Apple is already working on its second-generation 64-bit A8 processor and Samsung.
Apple, Qualcomm, and Samsung processors are based on the ARM chip architecture and are inside today's most popular mobile devices. Most processors today are still 32-bit.
reading•After Apple 64-bit A7 criticism, Qualcomm exec reassigned
Oct 20•Apple gets sued over Animoji trademark
Oct 20•iPhone 8 Plus and 7 Plus photos: What's the difference?
Oct 20•iPhone 8 Plus vs. 7 Plus: How much better is the new camera?
Oct 20•The Mac Mini has been waiting 3 long years for an update (Apple Byte Extra Crunchy, Ep.106)