Getting the Kinect to obey your voice commands can be like trying to get an unruly dog to sit. They may do what you say eventually, but by that point you're pretty frustrated and thinking there's got to be a better way.
Well, now there is.
Cortana is being introduced to Xbox One consoles this summer. We saw Cortana in action at, but if you live in the US, the UK, France, Italy, Germany or Spain, you may already have the ability to use Cortana commands.
You can use Cortana commands with either your headset or Kinect. Here are some sample commands:
- Hey, Cortana, take a screen shot
- Hey, Cortana, launch my games and apps
- Hey, Cortana, launch (name of game you want to play)
- Hey, Cortana, launch friends
- Hey, Cortana, item one, invite to party
- Hey, Cortana, go home
- Hey, Cortana, snap Pandora (or other app)
For most commands, you will need to say "Hey, Cortana" first. Some commands, like "next page" and item numbers can be said without saying "Hey, Cortana" as long as Cortana is already actively listening for commands.
After trying Kinect versus Cortana, Cortana seems to be much more responsive. The only problem is remembering to say "Hey, Cortana" ahead of each command.