Telling friends where you are or where you've been is one thing, but telling them where you're going to be is essential for meetups. Forecast is a great, free app that builds on Foursquare and lets you preannounce your whereabouts to maximize the chances of your people joining the party. Here's how to use it:
- Download Forecast here for Android or here for iOS.
- Run the app and sign in with Foursquare.
- You can invite your Foursquare friends to Forecast, if you like. (You can also do this later, of course.)
- To set up an event, just tap Forecast in the upper right. You're shown your top Foursquare check-ins, but you can pick anything by tapping the search button in the top right.
- Select a date and time, then tap the I'll Be There button at the bottom of the screen. (If you're already there, just tap the I'm Here Now button at the top.)
- Add a comment if you want, with the familiar 140-character cap. You can post to Facebook, Twitter or both, though you will of course need to sign in to those services first.
- You can check and edit Forecasts you've already made if you like, and respond to the Forecasts created by your friends. Like all social networks, Forecast works best with a large friends list, but the utility it offers should mean that your Foursquare friends won't take much convincing to get started.