Foursquare just rolled out a Save to Foursquare button, which allows users to save a venue to one of their Foursquare Lists from nearly any Web page.
With the announcement of the new button came a long list of partners you'll see using the button starting today, as well as a way to implement the button on your own site.
While being able to add a venue to your Foursquare To-Do list after reading a review on Eater.com is real handy, what do you do if you want to add a venue from Google Maps or if a site doesn't have the button implemented? Foursquare already thought of this and provided a painless solution.
- If you are using Firefox or Safari, you will need to ensure your bookmark bar is visible. If it isn't, go to View > Toolbars and select Bookmarks Toolbar on Firefox. Or, if you are using Safari, go to View > Show Bookmarks Bar. Chrome users will need to install an extension, a link to which can be found in the next step.
- Visit this Save to Foursquare Web page. If you are using Chrome, you can install the extension by clicking on the Save button. For Safari/Firefox users, you will need to drag the Save to Foursquare button to your bookmarks toolbar.
- With the bookmark installed, all you will need to do to save a venue to a Foursquare list is click on it.
- A dialog will pop up, confirming the proper venue has been found as well as the list you would like to add it to.
- You will find the venue you just added under the respective list you added it to, whether you are on the Foursquare site or using one of the official mobile apps. You will also find a link to the story or Web page you added the venue from when viewing the new venue in your list.
Should you be on a page on which the venue information isn't easily read by Foursquare, you will be given the option to search for the venue, still allowing you to add it.
What do you think about this addition to Foursquare and the Web sites implementing it? Is this a great tool to help you explore cities, or yet another button added to sites that you could care less about?