Sure, the Academy Awards are more prestigious, but thehave booze. And they hand out awards for TV shows in addition to movies. I'd argue the Golden Globes make for better television than the Oscars -- for the simple fact that acceptance speeches are only improved when the winners are operating with a champagne buzz.
The 2019 Golden Globes will take place on Sunday from the Beverly Hilton. Here's what you need to know.
Who are the nominees?
Here's the full list of nominees, and here are the biggies:
Best motion picture, drama
- If Beale Street Could Talk
Best actress in a motion picture, drama
- Glenn Close, The Wife
- Lady Gaga, A Star is Born
- Nicole Kidman, Destroyer
- Melissa McCarthy, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- Rosamund Pike, A Private War
Best actor in a motion picture, drama
- Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
- Willem Dafoe, At Eternity's Gate
- Lucas Hedges, Boy Erased
- Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
- John David Washington, BlacKkKlansman
Best motion picture, musical or comedy
- Green Book
Best actor in a motion picture, musical or comedy
- Christian Bale, Vice
- Lin-Manuel Miranda, Mary Poppins Returns
- Viggo Mortensen, Green Book
- Robert Redford, The Old Man and the Gun
- John C. Reilly, Stan and Ollie
Best actress in a motion picture, musical or comedy
- Emily Blunt, Mary Poppins Returns
- Olivia Colman, The Favourite
- Elsie Fisher, Eighth Grade
- Charlize Theron, Tully
- Constance Wu, Crazy Rich Asians
Best supporting actress, any motion picture
- Amy Adams, Vice
- Claire Foy, First Man
- Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk
- Emma Stone, The Favourite
- Rachel Weisz, The Favourite
Best supporting actor, any motion picture
- Mahershala Ali, Green Book
- Timothee Chalamet, Beautiful Boy
- Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman
- Richard Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?
- Sam Rockwell, Vice
Best director, motion picture
- Bradley Cooper, A Star is Born
- Alfonso Cuarón,
- Peter Farrelly, Green Book
- Spike Lee, BlacKkKlansman
- Adam McKay, Vice
Best television series, drama
- Killing Eve
Best actor in a television series, drama
- Jason Bateman, Ozark
- Stephan James, Homecoming
- Richard Madden, Bodyguard
- Billy Porter, Pose
- Matthew Rhys, The Americans
Best actress in a television series, drama
- Caitriona Balfe, Outlander
- Elisabeth Moss,
- Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
- Julia Roberts, Homecoming
- Keri Russell, The Americans
Best television series, musical or comedy
- The Good Place
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Best actress in a TV series, musical or comedy
- Kristen Bell, The Good Place
- Candice Bergen, Murphy Brown
- Alison Brie,
- Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
- Debra Messing, Will & Grace
Best actor in a TV series, musical or comedy
- Sasha Baron Cohen, Who is America?
- Jim Carrey, Kidding
- Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
- Donald Glover, Atlanta
- Bill Hader, Barry
When do the Golden Globes start?
To see all of the celebrities and fashions on the red carpet on their way into the Beverly Hilton, you can tune into the Official Red Carpet Pre-Show on Facebook.
How to watch the Golden Globes online
US viewers can watch a livestream of the show on NBC.com or the NBC app, but you'll need to prove you're a pay TV subscriber. Cord-cutters can use one of theor FuboTV to stream the show, if you live in the right market -- some markets offer only on-demand content and not a live feed of your local networks. Each of the streaming services offers a free, seven-day trial so you could sign up and watch the Golden Globes for free, then cancel straight away.
You can also watch red-carpet coverage, starting two hours before the event, at the Golden Globes Facebook page. Australian viewers can watch the awards on Fox 8. It's not available on UK TV.
Hulu with Live TV
FuboTV is a sports-centric streaming service that offers NBC. It costs $40 for the first month before jumping up to $45 a month. See what live, local networks it offers in your area.
Originally published on Jan. 3, 2018.
Update, Jan. 4: Added information about the red carpet pre-show on Facebook.
Tech Culture: From film and television to social media and games, here's your place for the lighter side of tech.
CNET Magazine: Check out a sampling of the stories you'll find in CNET's newsstand edition.