Ever leave the house and wonder if you unplugged your curling iron or your toaster that your cat always paws at? This can be scary, especially if you're already at work and have to wait eight or more hours to find out if your house and pets are okay.
Fortunately, your Amazon Echo ($65 at Amazon) can be a life (or house) saver if you have Amazon's smart devices installed in your home. You'll only need to say, "Hey Alexa, turn off the plugs," in order to feel secure.
Read more: Which Amazon Echo speaker should you buy?
Adding your Smart Light, Plug and Switch devices
These are some of the best devices to have installed in your home because they are often forgotten when you're in a hurry.
1. In your Amazon Alexa app, tap the three stacked lines at the top.
2. Tap Add Device.
3. In the menu, select the device you're installing -- Light, Plug or Switch.
Using another smart device with Alexa voice assistant support
1. If you're using a brand other than Amazon, download the brand-specific app to finish the setup.
2. Set up your device following the brand's app instructions.
3. When you're finished setting up the device, return to the Amazon Alexa app and tap on Skills & Games in the menu.
4. Search for the brand you're using (ex. Philips Hue) and tap Enable To Use.
5. Sign in with your brand login info -- so whatever you used to sign into the Philips Hue or GE apps. This will link to your Amazon Echo account.
Using an Amazon brand light, plug or switch
1. After you've selected Amazon as your smart home device brand, tap Next to finish setting up.
2. Amazon will ask for your 2D barcode located in your quick start guide that came with your device. You can also check the back of your device to see if it has a barcode. Tap Scan Barcode and complete the setup.
Smart Light commands you can say
"Alexa, turn on the bedroom light."
"Alexa, dim the dining room lights." -- You need dimmable lights in order for this to work.
"Alexa, set living room light to 30%."
"Alexa, set the bathroom light to blue." -- You need color changing bulbs for this.
Smart Plug ($37 at Walmart) commands you can say
"Alexa, turn off the plug in the bathroom."
"Alexa, turn off the plug in the kitchen."
"Alexa, turn on the plug in the living room."
Smart Switch commands you can say
"Alexa, turn on the ceiling fan in the living room."
"Alexa, turn on the porch light."
"Alexa, turn on the bathroom fan."
"Alexa, turn off the kitchen fan."