Ring is rolling out package alerts to select video doorbells, beginning with its Video Doorbell (2020). The feature will be available to all users of these devices by the end of November, according to Ring.and
In order to use package alerts, you'll first have to be a from $3 per month to $20 per month, depending on whether you just want cloud storage for a single video device or you're paying for professional monitoring for your security system. offers the feature free with its latest video doorbell, and Arlo's subscription is comparable to Ring's., which costs anywhere
The other consideration here is Ring's political baggage: The Amazon-owned company hasbetween customers and police. A few recent feature additions, however, have allowed more flexibility for Ring users -- letting them , and . Ring is also to request footage; instead such requests happen in public posts on Ring's Neighbors app.
With all those considerations out of the way, if you still want to activate package alerts on your compatible Ring video doorbells, here's how to do it.
How to set up package alerts
1. Open the Ring app.
2. Tap the hamburger menu in the top-left corner, then select Devices.
3. Select your compatible video doorbell (the Video Doorbell (2020) or Doorbell Pro 2).
4. Select Motion Settings, then Smart Alerts.
5. Under the Package section, select the video icon.
6. Set up your package zone, and select the alerts icon.
7. You can customize the package zone and sensitivity on this screen.
8. And you're done!
Once you're set up, you may want to test the feature to make sure it's sending you notifications properly. If not, follow the directions once more to make sure you didn't miss any steps.
For more on package safety, read aboutthis season -- especially as Americans are likely to spend .