Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

zyxel wifi detector/adapter & networking

by tmsjava / August 16, 2006 6:35 AM PDT

Does anyone know how to set up a network between my computer and my husband's computer (both laptops with wireless)? I just bought the ZyXel wifi detector/wireless adapter and I know you can set that up, I'm just not sure exactly how. I don't always use it as a wireless adapter, as my computer already has a wireless card.

any help would be appreciated,
T.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: zyxel wifi detector/adapter & networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: zyxel wifi detector/adapter & networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The easy way
by kberlin86 / August 16, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

Hello,

You didn't mention if you wanted to connect to the internet using a cable modem or DSL. I will assume that is not in the equation but will allow for it at a later date.

The easiest way would be to purchase a wireless router such as a Linksys or Belkin. Both of your wireless cards should have no problem seeing the wireless network.

To make this as clean as possible you should verify that both machines have the same workgroup name (you do that through Control Panel, System icon, Computer name tab)

You will want to share a printer or folder on one or both machines. You connect to the shared resource on the other machine.

If you continue having problems reply and we will help.

Good luck.

Collapse -
The easy way
by kberlin86 / August 16, 2006 1:00 PM PDT

Hello,

You didn't mention if you wanted to connect to the internet using a cable modem or DSL. I will assume that is not in the equation but will allow for it at a later date.

The easiest way would be to purchase a wireless router such as a Linksys or Belkin. Both of your wireless cards should have no problem seeing the wireless network.

To make this as clean as possible you should verify that both machines have the same workgroup name (you do that through Control Panel, System icon, Computer name tab)

You will want to share a printer or folder on one or both machines. You connect to the shared resource on the other machine.

If you continue having problems reply and we will help.

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.