Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Zyxel P660HN-F1Z and wifi problems with windows XP SP3

by mcx001 / March 21, 2011 5:29 AM PDT

I have two XP PC's running the latest updates/drivers etc. Also have a Windows 7 PC. All share the same wifi wpa2-psk network.
Recently the two XP boxes frequently drop their wifi connections but still show connected on the wifi symbol. After about 4 weeks of spare time testing, I found a temporary fix today which is just a bit strange, so I wondered if anyone out there can suggest a reason for this. The Windows 7 PC remains connected and is fine. It makes no difference if this PC is on or off so it's not interference.

My router is a Zyxel P660HN-F1Z, again running the latest firmware. Basically to fix the constant dropping (which can be anytime from immediate to up to about 20 mins) I have to alter WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK on the router. Then reset it on the wireless networks, preferred networks control panel in XP. The PC won't connect using this method even after altering. I then have to log into the router using a lan cable and reset it to WPA2-PSK, where after this the XP PC's can be reset to WPA2-PSK and will connect fine until the router is rebooted.

I'm just after a second opinion really but think the router is faulty...just strange the windows 7 PC is still fine! I also wanted to post this to help others using the same router if they experience this as I have yet to find any thread with this solution to a very common problem with many different network setups.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zyxel P660HN-F1Z and wifi problems with windows XP SP3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zyxel P660HN-F1Z and wifi problems with windows XP SP3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes. And this matches the advice in the top post
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2011 12:14 PM PDT

If you look at the welcome post at the top of the forum, that's the advice when wpa2 is broken in some way.

It does not matter you reset it later. You have found the bug and now you have to decide what to do about it.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by mcx001 / March 21, 2011 6:31 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply Bob. I did read the welcome post first before posting but in my case I tried WPA in the router (which I can't link up with at all for some reason). Simply moving over to this and then back to WPA2 resets the problem with WPA2 until next reboot. New router on order for the nth time...they don't last long these days (that one was 8 months)!
Mark

Collapse -
I wonder.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2011 8:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

There was a note about Windows Live changing something. I didn't see that your router worked before so I didn't offer (I apologize for that) any idea about what could change your machine.

Read http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=91289&page=3

Any other clues about what changed from when it worked? Another one was the owner decided to hide the SSID.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.