The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Zune Install Problems

by milkky / October 8, 2007 9:37 PM PDT

Couple times in recent epsiodes have had callers and email about how awful an experience they had in trying to get a newly purchased Zune working. The one guy said something like he had to spend all day "beating on the software". Based on the strong anti-Zune comments everytime the word is mentioned, I have to assume that there are others who are on this forum who had bad experiences.

I would really like to hear some details--what kind of problems? Locking the system? Won't synch? Hate the store? I may be shopping soon, some of the features like wi-fi are interesting, but can't ignore all the hate out there. But never really any specifics behind it, aside from it being brown which, c'mon--really? If you base your decision on that shallow an issue, I'm no going to follow you anyway!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zune Install Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zune Install Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Scootsky / October 9, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Zune Install Problems

I don?t have an iPod and was not familiar with MP3 players. I bought an on sale $199 Zune and just assumed that as the Zune is a MS product the file system would be like Win Explorer. Wrong.
For some reason the whole MP3 player world wants to tie you to albums and artwork. Maybe there is a hack to get around this but I haven?t looked for it yet. has a FAQ section and a forum that answers some questions.
After loading the software (won?t run on 2000PRO) a ?zune? directory is placed in mydocs\mymusic. Songs off of the store load into this directory and when you copy ripped .wav CDs or directories full of mp3s into this directory it pokes it into the library when you fire up the software. Plug in the Zune vie usb cable and the music in the library is ready to sync into it. You have a chance to fix and edit the album info and art before you do the sync. You just have to keep hacking on it until you get it to work like you want to.
The Zune software goes out to the WWW to find album art for mp3s. It takes a few moments. You can move songs to other albums and delete songs from the library.
I put in a ?Best of? album and it created 4 different albums with art work. The header info have all of this in it. I have not ripped any CDs into the Zune software as of yet. It will probably be fun I?m sure.
Bottom lie is you have complete control of what you put on the Zune but it?s not real user friendly. I drive a mouse at the gig all day and am a PC Guru in training so hacking with software is not that much a jump for me.
The Zune has very good vid and sound. The controls are easy to master and the device looks like it will last a long time.
I have decided to quit buying all DRM?d music. I bought several iTnnes songs to play on my PC but have no plans to buy an iPod. The Zune store has a point system and the buy is very simple but it is DRM?d music.

So, first just check the wires then just keep on hacking?

Collapse -
by wizkids32 / October 9, 2007 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Zune

This is for Gary I would try Amazon I think that those song would work on the Zune and they are DRM free and I also think they would also go automatically like they do for the Ipod. Yes it does just select other and add the Zune and that might work.

Collapse -
by Scootsky / October 9, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

Amazon files work great on the Zune. Amazon downloader puts files into a 'mydocs/mymusic/Amazon MP3' directory. I copy and paste,leaving a backup copy, to the Zune directory.

I haven't tried that yet. I'm a chicken and do all downloads to my PC on a manual basis.

Collapse -
Very Helpful
by milkky / October 9, 2007 7:56 AM PDT

Thanks. That FAQ covered a lot as well. For now, if my Zen V:M goes ahead and dies (not fully charging now) I'm leaning toward just replacing it. Basic quality of life stuff missing on the Zune like bookmarking. I'll see if the next generation gets some of that in first but it's not looking good.

One question left tho, if you know. You said "when you copy... directories full of mp3s into this directory it pokes it into the library when you fire up the software." If I had my aggregator (Juice) pointed to that directory, would that get past the podcast issue? That is, would it just take my nightly d/l's and synch them next time I plug in, as long as everything went to that directory?

Collapse -
Ipod User who bought Zune
by BN973 / October 10, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Very Helpful

I own way too many ipods - Nano, Mini, and Classic and when woot ran the zune for 125 couldn't resist another gadget. I like to watch video on stairmachine at gym and the zune has a nice big screen and at 125 for 30GB say no more. Sure the zune software is a bit weird and I don't think you can expect to use it and figure it out in a couple of hours. You have to tell it what folders you want it to look at and it does all the work for you. I wouldn't say its bad its just different - when ur used to itunes you have expect everything to run like that which isn't realistic. Once you get the music and vids on the zune the unit runs great - the screen is awesome - much brighter than my ipod. I can't wait to use the wifi to update podcasts etc. C'mon folks don't kick the zune - i think at $125 it was a STEAL and hey they actually support their product as they go foward. Apple wants you to buy a new unit every 9 months - i'm really getting sick of the cupertino arrogance... Have fun -its just a toy. C'mon Molly get a zune just don't pay too much. B

Collapse -
by milkky / October 10, 2007 2:55 AM PDT

Are you saying it actually let's you make choices and customize to your own preferences? How dare they! No wonder some people are finding it difficult to use--it doesn't do all the thinking for you?

Of course, sarcasm aside, how easily the UI lets you customize is just about as crucial as how much customizing is available. In general tho, I'd rather have choices than go the cookie cutter route.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?