General discussion

zune (and other mp3 players) and large wmp library

Decided to start a new thread on this because I'm confused (a bit mp3 challenged here - sorry) on windows media player, zune software, itunes and mp3 players. So far I've only used creative, and found it very easy to drag & drop music from wmp into the creative device.

I have my entire cd library (quite large) in windows media player. Hubby has a creative mp3 & thus doesn't want the files converted. While I've read good things about the zune, I'm concerned that it might convert my wmp files. And also concerned that it might not recognize some files in the wmp library. I don't want to have to put all those cds in the computer gain just for zune. It took forever to do it the first time. As for itunes... it seems like that might be a hassle; so even though I like the looks of the ipod I've put it lower on my list for this reason.

What I'm looking for in a mp3 player is an easy to read (& use) screen - my tiny creative's screen stinks & it's miserable to choose different songs. I'd like at least 8gb, although 16gb might be nice. And would prefer a size where I can use it in the gym. And I need for it to somehow recognize the huge library of music I have in wmp. If the software must convert, I absolutely need for the original form of the music to stay in wmp for my husband's creative mp3.

Thanks so much.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: zune (and other mp3 players) and large wmp library
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: zune (and other mp3 players) and large wmp library
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
zune or creative/sansa

Zune players will do fine with wmp and not require any converting, but I'm fairly sure you've got to use the Zune software to sync them, which will require a lot of rearranging of your music, just like iTunes.

Instead, another Creative player, or a Sansa player, would be better, because you can just drag and drop all your music. Another brand that's pretty good, is Archos.

I can't really recommend what player to get, because I'm primarily an iPod person and haven't really tried any other players.

Good luck

- Collapse -
zune or sony

Thanks for your message. I was still a tad undecided between a zune or the sony. But based on what you said I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Sony. Like Creative, it's also drag & drop which is really nice. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

CNET Forums