HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456

by oro123 / August 2, 2004 10:53 PM PDT

Does anyone know which computer is a better buy? M35-S546 is more expensive than the ZT3380. What is the major difference of the two?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456
by KenSanramon / August 3, 2004 4:29 AM PDT

They are nearly identical in specifications -- the Toshiba has 64mb Nvidia dedicated video and the HPZT3380 (ZT3000 series) (or identical except for appearance and ridge on touchpad) Compaq X1480 (X1000 series.

Circuit City has all 3 of the machines I have cited above.

The Toshiba M35S456 is a great value if you want the DVD burner (burns all formats +/- -- HP/Compaq only burns DVD +). It also has the new Trubrite XGA screen (similar to Sony Xbrite) which has a thin glasslike layer that makes the LCD very attractive.

However, it can cause reflection/glare if you have a lot of light in the back (or outside) so some people don't want that for that reason. View the Toshiba next to the HP or Compaq at Circuit City and decide for yourself.

The Toshiba weighs 6.2 pounds and runs a bit more hot (can feel heat around the touchpad when running and the rubber feet are slightly higher in the back to accomodate more airflow as it is needed).

The HP/Compaq run nearly silently in normal operation with the fan not even running unless using the CD/DVD drive or the hard drive alot. It weighs 6.5 pounds.

Both of these are 15.4" LCD widescreens of course.

The retail for the Toshiba is $1999 but Circuit City and Fry's electronics had it for 150.00 off in the last month (one week sales).

If you really don't need the DVD burner CD-RW/DVD ROM is enough for most people in a notebook) you can order custom and also adjust other components (CPU, memory, hard drive capacity and speed) as you want.

For example, you can save money by getting 256MB instead of the 512mb standard in most prebuilt retail notebooks and add 256mb later for much less or add 512mb for only about $100 (for total of 768mb) from Crucial. Rememmber, notebooks only have 2 RAM slots.

Both of these notebooks can be custom ordered online.

I have the X1360US Compaq (older Pentium M 1.4 Banias as I bought it in May 2004).

If your order custom through HP/Compaq or Toshiba (or order HP/Compaq through Costco.com which also gives you a 6 month return policy in addition to the manufacturer warranty --- 1 year) than you can get a $100 rebate on either the ZT3000 or X1000.

The keyboard feel is better on the X1000/ZT3000 -- so try viewing the Trubrite on the Toshiba -- if you like that better buy it. Especially if you want to order custom and like the keyboard feel consider the HP/Compaq.

There is a dedicated forum for the X1000/ZT3000/nx7000 (all the same except for appearance and the touchpad ridge only on the X1000) at www.x1000forums.com -- I have found this extremely valuable for getting the right configuration, becoming aware of software updates to correct some issues, and to become aware of all the ways you can save additional $ when ordering custom.

You can order the Toshiba custom online as well (as the M30 --also you can order the M35S456 prebuilt online). You can read postings about Toshiba and Dell at www.notebookforums.com

These are the 2 notebooks I looked at myself before buying the Compaq X1360US but now Toshiba has the Trubrite LCD so that is a new thing in their favor.

If you order a HP/Compaq without the DVD burner, get the 1.6 Pentium M Dothan ($125 less custom than the 1.7 on the prebuilt notebooks above) and get 256mb (add your own later) you can get one for less than $1500 ..............

Collapse -
Re: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456 / HP
by oro123 / August 6, 2004 1:41 AM PDT

Ken, do you think these are decent specs for a notebook?
ZT3000
HP Pavilion zt3000 series customize notebook
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) M Processor 735 (1.7 GHz)
- Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP Professional-only $49!!
- 15.4" WXGA Widescreen (1280x800)
- 64MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9200
- 512MB DDR SDRAM (2x256MB)
- 60 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive
- FREE Upgrade from DVD to DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive!!
- Intel(R) Pro Wireless 2200 802.11b/g WLAN
- Microsoft(R) Office 2003 Basic

Collapse -
Re: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456 / HP
by KenSanramon / August 6, 2004 4:14 AM PDT

Yes, except for 2 things (great specs). You can save $75 on the custom order and order the 1.6 Pentium M 725 Dothan instead of the Pentium M 735 Dothan. Both have the 2mb L2 cache and you will notice very little difference.

Also, order either 1 stick of 512mb RAM (not 2 256mb modules -- I think it is same price now so no penalty) or order 1 256mb stick only and add your own 512mb RAM later for about $100 to get 768mb for less money (Crucial,etc).

If you want 1mb get the 1 stick of 512mb option -- if you want 512mb (adequate for many people) or 768mb get the 256mb 1 stick option.

Note: there are only 2 slots and 1 is under the keyboard --the 2nd is easily accessible underneath -- so don't fill both with 256mb from the manufacturer.

Otherwise, the 5400rpm hard drive is great (versus the up to 505 slower standard 4200rpm, the 64mb dedicated video is wise (can't upgrade and only $50 more), and you have everything else covered. Many people at X1000forums order the cheapest 30mb 4200 hard drive and then put in a 7200rpm Hitachi on their own (not available as HP option) but that will only get you up to another 20% performance and with the 5400rpm you won't have to reformat the entire system.

Collapse -
Re: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456 / HP - Few more QUestions ple
by oro123 / August 13, 2004 5:20 AM PDT

Ken,
when you talk about the $100 rebate which one is it? I called hp and asked if I could submit a $100.00 rebate and the sales person said "it was not a valid rebate." If you can tell me which rebate is it or the offer #, if you know? Do you know of any student discounts?

Collapse -
Re: ZT3380 VS Toshiba M35-S456 / HP - Few more QUestions ple
by KenSanramon / August 13, 2004 8:44 AM PDT

The HP and Compaq (separate PDF files for each) rebates good for any custom order notebook has a valid period of 2/15/04-9/1/04 (ordered by then).

They are now showing a $50 rebate for the HP ZT3000 series and a $30 rebate for the Compaq X1000 series on the actual order screens.

However, the $100 rebate form is valid for any custom order notebook through 9/1/04 . I know as I ordered a prebuilt notebook in late May (some prebuilt models were listed but now most have been replaced) and it stated any custom order HP or Compaq notebook was elligible.

You can see at www.x1000forums.com that many custom order students are submitting that rebate form instead (with receipt copy and UPC code original -- 2nd label on side of box).

You will also see at the forums you can get a 6% student discount (use APP link at HP) and you can even get a 5% fatcash rebate (comes after at least 90 days) if you learn how to sign up through that portal (pass through to HP site).

You can find the $100 rebate by going to the main hpshopping home page, going to the lower left corner of that page and cliking the main in rebates link. Select HP notebooks. You will find a $100 cash or free Wordperfect Professional software or Marriott hotel offer good from 2/15/04 to 9/1/04 (mail in within 45 days after purchase date). Print this PDF file (Adobe acrobat) and use this if you purchase it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.