Cameras forum

General discussion

zoom or megapixels

To get a very good 8x10 photo, What would be better, a 4mp camera with a 10x zoom or a 7.2mp camera with a 3-4x zoom that could be enlarged and or cropped? An example, taking photos of a bird at a backyard feeder.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: zoom or megapixels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: zoom or megapixels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The zoom if it's an optical zoom.

In reply to: zoom or megapixels

Collapse -
Zoom or Megapixels

I also vote for Zoom.

If you are thinking that a 10X camera can not produce detailed photos (of all types), here is a link to a site I came across.

The gallery has a large collection of Olympus C770 photos of all types.

http://www.pbase.com/wayne_n

Collapse -
zoom or megapixels

In reply to: Zoom or Megapixels

I went to the link and everything I thought about Digital Photography is wrong. How can a 4mp camera take better looking photos then cameras doubling this? Which is better, the Olympus C-770 or the Canon Digital Rebel or the Nikon D-70 as far as overall photo quality?

P.S. Olympus needs to hire whoever took those photographs!

Collapse -
Photographer

I see you understand, the main ingredient is the photographer.

The D70 and Rebel are more capable cameras.

But a less capable camera can produce outstanding photos. More megapixels do not guarantee a better photo.

If you want to see the other side of the coin.

What happens when you couple an excellent photographer with a $2,000 camera that is fitted with a $4,500 lens?

Nikon D2H with Sigma 300-800 (zoom)lens.

Check out a few great photos:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1005&message=12566687

I posted this link once before, but it is worth a repeat.

If you have dial-up, it may take about two minutes for this link to finish. But it is worth the wait.

Collapse -
Zoom to megapixels

My choice would be the 10X zoom. I feel that in cropping there are too many variables envolved and you can do a lot with 4MP>

Collapse -
zoom or megapixel

In reply to: Zoom to megapixels

I see someone has posted my question to cnet's Help and How To and it won question of the week. Cool, it is written better.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.