General discussion

Zoom Lens Recommendation for Nikon D90?

I just recently received a D90 from my husband, and it's my first SLR. It came as a kit with a lens, but the zoom feature isn't that great. I'd like to have a multi-purpose lens, that works for close-ups and good zoom shots. Both the following lenses have been recommended, but would anyone have any thoughts as to which to buy? I'd like to have the convenience of using a single lens without changing them out for zoom shots, but, beyond that, I don't know which would be best. It seems the 70-300mm is primarily zoom, and I'm probably looking for something like the 18-200mm model, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II

AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x)

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Zoom Lens Recommendation for Nikon D90?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Zoom Lens Recommendation for Nikon D90?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I think you answered your own question

You want convenience, so go with the 18-200. The 18-105 that came with your camera and the 70-300VR are both better lens than the 18-200(with the 70-300VR being much better optically and with focusing speed), but they won't give you the convenience that your looking for. None of the lenses will be very good for close up/macro photography but this also depends on your expectations, which vary from person to person.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks for the response; now I'm reconsidering my initial thinking. Perhaps it would be better to swap lenses and go with the 70-300. One other question -- a person at the local camera store in Houston mentioned that I should stick with the DX lens for the D90, but the 70-300 lens I noted is not a DX (as best as I can tell). Any thoughts on whether the 70-300 VR would work well with the D90?

Thanks again (and sorry for the dumb questions -- I'm new to SLR)!

- Collapse -
Makes no difference

The DX lenses are made to only work with the crop sensor Nikon DSLRs and won't work on full frame models. I don't know why he'd tell you to stick with DX only. The 70-300mm VR is better than any of the DX telephoto lenses, such as the 55-200mm. The DX models are usually a bit lighter and smaller but are usually, not always, a lesser lens than a quality full frame lens.

CNET Forums