PC Applications forum

General discussion

ZoneAlarm vs Norton

by Pcfreakske2000 / November 5, 2005 3:16 AM PST

Hi all ,

I installed ZoneAlarm ( the free version ) on my girlfriend's computer , using the "Help from a distance" feature in Windows XP.

But she has Norton Antivirus installed and it seems like it doesn't work properly.

Does anyone know how I can fix it ?

What can I do to make it work properly ?

Please let me know.

Greetings ,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ZoneAlarm vs Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ZoneAlarm vs Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by jackintucson / November 5, 2005 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: ZoneAlarm vs Norton

Are there any other firewalls installed and running? If so, keep ZoneAlarm and disable the other. Never the two shall meet. Same goes for multiple anti-anything programs running at the same time. Is it just the anti-virus program and not the suite? Same issue. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Collapse -
by Alan Copeland / November 5, 2005 6:58 AM PST

If it was my PC I would ditch Norton and get AVG. I've been running AVG, free then full version, alongside ZA for nearly 3 years with no hiccups.

Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm or Norton
by germangrl / November 12, 2005 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Also

I had Zone Alarm for a couple of years on my Pc. But a few days ago I found out that it went corrupt and fouled up the Connectivity to the Internet. Only reason I found out about it, was I had several issues trying to connect to the internet with my new ISP . Thru some ping commands and technical support from MS , that problem was found and I also had a little bug called Netdot squirm it's way into my settings of the modem and rename it. So we flushed it out and now even my little error msg. on start up is gone. We uninstalled Zone Alarm, I properly installed the d-link router ( all the time I thought it was working properly, since the x-box connected to the internet) and everything is running properly. I would say don't go with ZA , try a different program.

Collapse -
I run ZoneAlarm perfectly here , girlfriend has problems
by Pcfreakske2000 / November 12, 2005 4:55 AM PST

Hi all ,

Well, I am running ZoneAlarm perfectly here. But I don't use Norton or Mcafee anymore , because I don't trust them anymore.

I run Panda Platinum Internet Security 2005 and it works well around here.

I disabled the built-in firewall in Panda , though , because it wasn't working properly.

My girlfriend has problems even running ZoneAlarm , she uses Norton Antivirus.

I told her about a milion times Norton is bad , but she won't listen , lol.

Now she has problems running ZoneAlarm aside Norton.

I have been trying to find anything on forums about it , but never found anything.

I don't know how to solve the problem on my girlfriend's computer.

Anyone can give me a clue how to make it work ?

Thank you.

Greetings ,

Collapse -
Only try to use one program at a time
by Dick Humfrey / November 12, 2005 8:14 AM PST

Years ago I used to have installed and run many virus programs. These days many of the virus programs do not tolerate other virus programs being installed. So only have one installed at a time.

Collapse -
Firewall versus Virus control
by Maisie663 / November 13, 2005 5:33 AM PST

I have AVG Pro and had trouble with Zone Alarm, so I disabled the virus section of Zone Alarm, keep up my updates of Zone Alarm and working fine now. Even Zone Alarm will tell you some Virus Programs do not work with their firewall, it is in their Overview.

Collapse -
Show her this
by PKsteven / November 12, 2005 3:27 PM PST

Show your girlfriend these replies lol. I have no love for Norton and will never say a good word about it.In short, I have uninstalled it from many peoples' pc's and they have been happy ever since. I could not run ZoneAlarm with Norton on a good portion of those pc's. Also, make sure her Winxp firewall is off. One product I have used for years for antivirus is Fix it Utilities..I swear by it and have had many people switch to it. Unlike Norton, you only upgrade aproximately every 3 years, if not more. There are upgrade patches in between which are nice , and free. I have had no probelems with it at all, it even comes with anti spyware utility now among reg defrag,fix, clean...Multi hard drive defrag, clean, you name it, it has it. Plus it only cost 29 dollars for a new version or if on sale,and 39 if not upgrading. Not bad for over 3 years. It will detect viruses almost instantly and does a complete scan in about 10 to 15 minutes. It has never failed to be honest. http://www.v-com.com/ you can check it out here. Any way this may be a good route to take. Or Avg which is free and many swear by it also. That is what I would use if not for the above mentioned. Good luck to you.

Collapse -
The problem is solved , I solved it yesterday
by Pcfreakske2000 / November 13, 2005 7:19 PM PST
In reply to: Show her this

Hi all ,

Thank you all for your advice.
I solved the problem.

She still had Windows Firewall activated. So , lol , I deactivated it and installed ZoneAlarm again.

Glad I got it fixed now , on my girlfriends computer.
She's surfing the web more secure now as well.

Windows Firewall sucks big time. So ... That's why I would recommend using ZoneAlarm to everyone.

Thank you for the help , though.

Greetings ,

Collapse -
you are welcome
by PKsteven / November 14, 2005 2:43 AM PST

This is why I always mention it, many people don't know it's on. I wouldn't say windows firewall is BAD though, for many who can't get a firewall right away it's better than not having one at all but as far as long term, no. I have used ZoneAlarm for years and it's the only one I have found that blocks what I need blocked. Thanks for letting us know you solved it as many people don't. Paul

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?