Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

I'm running WinXP PRO and the most recent version of free ZoneAlarm. I've noticed that it has quarantined 124 suspect email attachments.

Unless ZA is monitoring my email in Yahoo, there should be no bad attachments in my ISP email since I only get email from long time trusted family and friends.

Is there a way for me to take a look as what ZA is keeping from me for my own good?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) quarantined...

In reply to: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

Collapse -
Re: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

In reply to: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

William,

Here's what ZA labs forum admin wrote:

"ZoneAlarm's MailSafe feature detects e-mail attachments and alerts the user to their presence. When a potentially dangerous attachment is detected (POP3 and IMAP protocols), ZoneAlarm quarantines it by changing the extension so that it cannot be executed accidentally. For example, a file called SERVER.EXE will be renamed SERVER.ZL9 if you have chosen to quarantine files with the .EXE extension. (The file itself is NOT moved).

To open a quarantined attachment:
Quarantined attachments are not moved anywhere - they are still attached to the original email, with the new extension. When you double-click on the attachment, ZoneAlarm will verify whether or not you would like to open the attachment. You can choose to open the attachment, delete it, or to check further on the validity of the email and the attachment. Since most recent viruses and worms have spread via email attachments, it is very important to protect against them."

More in MailSafe and How It Works

Collapse -
Re: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

In reply to: Re: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

Donna,

Thank you very much. Happy

I've saved your post for reference use later as needed.

William

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome William :)

In reply to: Re: ZoneAlarm quanantined attachments

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!