Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

ZoneAlarm and Spy Sweeper shut down OS

by soccer18 / July 29, 2006 6:15 AM PDT

I have a year old dell 8400 running windows xp home. I recently upgraded my security software from norton security suite 2004 and zonelabs firewall (version 5.5) to zonealarm internet security suite 2006 and webroot spy sweeper version 5.0 (i was running free anti spyware programs before). After running the internet suite and spy sweeper for about 2 weeks I got an error message on a blue screen saying that windows had been shut down, along with "IRQL_NOT_GREATER_THAN_OR_EQUAL" I rebooted as instructed and was able to use the computer for about an hour before I got the same message. Both times that this happened I was using mozilla firefox (I only have ietab installed for extensions), and zonealarm and spysweeper were running in the background. I am very diligent about getting updates, and everything on my computer was up-to-date and running just fine, until I got this error anways. In the end I reinstalled windows and all of my programs, restored my documents, picutres and music from a backup file and was able to run everything just fine for about 2 weeks, only to recieve another blue screen error message. Has anybody encountred this before or know of a solution? I had the zonealarm antispyware turned on the first time, and after the reinstall I turned it off.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ZoneAlarm and Spy Sweeper shut down OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ZoneAlarm and Spy Sweeper shut down OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IRQL_NOT_GREATER_THAN_OR_EQUAL causes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 6:29 AM PDT

The most common cause I run into are drivers. One lovely is when an owner accepts a driver from Microsoft. "Lovely." The next common cause I run into is heat related. Many owners are blissfully unaware about dusting out the machine every 6 to 12 months and it's been warm here.

I can't write it's the software in your post causing this.

Bob

Collapse -
I Beta Tested SS and its still got some Problems.
by dogteams1 / July 29, 2006 9:56 AM PDT

Anyway i will cut to the chase .I;ve been beta testing,
Windows befoe win95 plus alot of software.
My results o Spsweeper by Weboot.
I belong to about 10 forums which most are beta testing,
forums.But also answer questions on alot of Forums.
Now most complaints i get are on Spysweeper .
It was n' 5.0 was not ready to be realeased to the ,
consumers.Don't belive Mags becuse they need sponsers.
Now what u sould try is Shut all the Sheilds down ,
on Spysweeper then this might just solve your problem.
Because its a known fact that the Shields are not n
doing thir job plus they can conflict with other software.The Shields are the the main problem.
Weboot is supposed to be working on this but don't hold,Breath.
I can;t belive did'nt mention it slows your pc down becaude it dos. Its A BIG ram eater.
And also why they put the Pause Button on it is for,
if you get to doing something you can use it because,
it has the slowest scan of all Scanners i've tested.
HTH
Dogteams1 I would recomend any scanner program over,
this over rated not ready Software.
I Would reomend SpywareBlaster for protection over,
and not SpySweeper.
Spywareblaster > http:\\www.javacoolsoftware.com

Dogteams1 (Good luck)

Collapse -
Zone-alarm beta test Results.
by dogteams1 / July 29, 2006 10:32 AM PDT

I forgot this one here's another over Rated software, Product.this one that i tested ,they through everthing but,the,kichen Sink in.Most user;s are getting rid of this too.
thier changeing to somthing else.Zone-alarm blew it with ,this new one.Same amount of user's yelling about this one too.Alot of people very unsatisfied with this. product.The old zone-alarm was the best one even, Steve gibson says he done went to kerio.
Anyway this program can cause alot of problems also.
Real-Ratings 3 its lost its great form it had.
They need to put the old one back out and forget trying,to get it ready for Vista.
Thier all rushing to make the dead-line for $Microsoft,
Which most people are fed up with.

Thats it. Dogteams1
Thank you

Collapse -
Something you might think about.
by dogteams1 / July 29, 2006 10:56 AM PDT

soccer18
If i was you i would think about dumping Weboot and ,putting it on the back burner plus zonealarm.
What you could do id buy CounterSpy which like owning a,
matag" washer.I read were if you buy Counterspy you will,
get a discount on kerio firewall and i do run kerio,
ands great.
But might want to think it over one thing when you talk to sunbelt you talk to real people which really back up thier products and thier getting better.
I have zone-alarm on a cd plus spysweeper on a cd were,the belong right now.Anyway all i run is the kerio firewall plus a nat router and i go every where with out any problems.My scanner i leave shut down.only use it for scanning same way with my virus scanner shut down.
The worm's are going to come from e-mail not your ports.Plus Ewido for trojan scanning its great.
tested it too.

Dogteams1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?