HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm Pro/Anti-Virus

by jlippincott / April 30, 2006 2:28 PM PDT

I'm just curious, does Zone Alarm Pro actually reconize
any anti-virus program? I use AVG anti-virus and it doesn't reconize it. I bet it only reconizes the Zone Alarm anti-virus program.
By the way, how does Zone Alarm anti-virus compare to AVG? Does it scan emails if you use Eudora and if so,
it give you a
"No virus found in this incoming message" message at the bottom of your emails like AVG does????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm Pro/Anti-Virus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm Pro/Anti-Virus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gumby.. It might be easier for us to help you..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 30, 2006 3:41 PM PDT

if you stated exactly what is that you need to know. Are you looking to get rid of AVG? If so, what were you considering replacing it with? I'd be more than happy to help you as best I can, if you would be very specifc with what your needs are. I'm having some trouble deciphering between what you're curious about, and what information you want, relevant to your needs.

Why not share all your system information and all you are presently using. And again..what you are considering replacing them with, if at all. Ask as many questions as you need, in this thread. This way, the pertinent information is all in one area. In my opinion, you'll get better informed information. I'm sure other's would like to help too.

Carol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) informed information,a little redundant :) only kiddin
by tomron / April 30, 2006 9:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
Some info lacks information :D I didn't 'dot my ''i'''s or
by Carol~ Forum moderator / May 1, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

cross my ''t's'' '. LOL (I was aware of it when I wrote it. And.. even had a little discussion with myself about it. Therein lies the result of the discussion. :D) The fact is I may not get ''any'' information, no less informed. Guess we'll see. And yes.. I know you were kidding.

Carol

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) :D
by tomron / May 1, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Zone Alarm Not Detecting Anti-Virus Program
by Seated / May 1, 2006 9:09 AM PDT

I'm using Zone Alarm Free, not Pro. It's supposed to monitor the status of my anti-virus program (AVG Free), but ZA always shows that there is no anti-virus running on my computer. I just ignore it, but the original poster using ZA Pro may be referring to this non-recognition of the AV program

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you have a AVG icon in task bar
by tomron / May 1, 2006 9:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
the same
by shankru85 / May 1, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

I'm currently trying Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal 6.0.1.305 & Zonealarm does not recognize it .
I'm ignoring too & trying to understand if this little problem can cause any damage .

Regards

White [ITA]

Collapse -
Just Wanted To Know
by jlippincott / May 1, 2006 10:09 AM PDT
In reply to: the same

I'm not getting rid of my AVG antivirus program. I just wanted to know alittle info on the Zone Alarm Antivirus program and if Zone Alarm Pro reconizes any other anti-virus programs. I tend to believe that it only reconizes its own anti-virus program. I'm going to ask Zone Alarm directly on this.

Collapse -
Currently...
by shankru85 / May 1, 2006 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Just Wanted To Know

i don't really know if it recognizes only its own AV ,
thanks to this Forum i realized that it does not recognize AVG in addition to Kaspersky .
Even if i do not think that it could be a big problem , it
would be better to get some elucidations by ZONE LABS ; so , if you're going to send them a mail , let us know what is the reply .

Thank you , in advance .

Regards

White [ITA]

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Have zone alarm & AVG / no problems
by tomron / May 1, 2006 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Currently...
Collapse -
Well, ZA Free Recognizes McAfee
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 2, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Just Wanted To Know

In addition, if you look into the "Help" section of ZoneAlarm, you'll note that it describes EXACTLY which antivirus programs are detected. It lists the ones below:

Symantec
McAfee
Computer Associates
Trend Micro

The "Help" section also states:

If you use a different anti-virus product, Anti-virus Monitoring will not recognize it at this time.This does not mean that your ZoneAlarm product is malfunctioning; your security remains as strong as ever. Zone Labs security software will be adding the ability to recognize more products over time. If your anti-virus product is not currently supported, you may simply turn off the Anti-virus Monitoring feature. Do not worry-- Anti-virus Monitoring is monitoring only and has no affect on the firewall and no direct affect on security.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may be of little use to the rest of the members in this thread, but most of my machines run McAfee and in each case, ZA free and Pro recognize McAfee.

One other note, in order for ZA to detect an antivirus program, the "monitoring" must be turned "ON" and if using the free program, it only works for a specified period of time.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thats What I Found Out
by jlippincott / May 2, 2006 1:41 AM PDT

Thats what I found out as well. I also found out that they may, in the future, set it up to reconize other anti-virus programs as well but I don't have any idea when that may happen.

Collapse -
Thanks
by shankru85 / May 2, 2006 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thats What I Found Out

Thanks for useful informatons gumby4 , Grif & Tom .
I'd be glad if everyone , who experiences any problem related to this subject , would post in this thread .
I think this could be helpful & surely will be for me .

Regards

White [ITA]

Collapse -
Zone Alarm Anti-Virus not enabled.
by JDBW / March 25, 2007 10:31 AM PDT

I have purchased a new Dell computer with XP Home operating system. When I loaded Zone Alarm suite and Zone Mechanic, both from disc and updates, the Anti-virus section on the Zone Alarm home page and the Zone Mecahanic indicates that there is no anti-virus program installed.

"An active antivirus program was not detected. When antivirus protection is not activated, your PC is vulnerable to infections that cause system damage and data loss. It is recommended that any computer with Internet access have antivirus protection."

When I seek to remedy the matter throught Zone Alarm suggestions about problems with Windows not recognising Zone Alarm, I cannot find any of the tabs they suggest. I have turned off Windows Firewall and turned off Dell organisor, all to no avail. I can still effect virus updates from Zone Alarm and do scans reports etc.
Can someone suggest a solution from this impasse?

Collapse -
Try this
by Donna Buenaventura / March 25, 2007 12:46 PM PDT

Click Start>Run> then type services.msc > Hit OK
Locate Security Center in the list of services
Double-click Security Center then select properties.
Click Stop
Then restart it by clicking Start
Reboot your system.

See if Windows Security Center will now recognize your antivirus program.

By the way, what is the version of your ZoneAlarm Suite?
The latest version is 7.0.337.000
If your version is older, upgrade it to the above version because one of the fixes is:
Fixed Microsoft Security Center notifications not being updated correctly
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zass/releaseHistory.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.