Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33 Installed

After several years of fighting against a firewall, I finally did it.....and I have a few questions.....and am a bit of a wreck from the stress Happy I would rather look dumb here where I am known than on a ZA forum.

1. During the install I received an RTL message at restart: "Unable to start driver for HPHipm.exe (HPHipmil.exe); this was later followed by "HPHmon04 has encountered a problem and needs to close". I called ZA and was told this was perfectly normal and just click continue and finish. Now my HP Photosmart 7350 is dead in the water -- Question: How "normal" is that!.....and is the solution to uninstall and reinstall the printer?

2. When I installed ZA Pro 5.0 on a friend's computer a few weeks ago, he was and still is overwhelmed with program alerts. OTOH, the only ZA alerts I have seen were those asking access permission for I.E, and AOL at sign up. So......now I am worried something is wrong because I am not seeing all these alerts Happy

I let ZA configure and chose not to use either of the Privacy Control options re 3rd-party control and cache cleaner.

Miki (very blonde at this moment)

Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized
NAV 2005

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33 Installed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33 Installed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33 Installed

In reply to: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33 Installed

Miki
I don't have Zone Alarm so I can't help you but I just wanted to say that you are NOT dumb. The dumb ones are the ones that DON'T ask the questions and end up getting themselves in BIG trouble. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, Roddy, for your very kind post.....Miki

In reply to: Re: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33 Installed

Collapse -
GOOD NEWS: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1,33

The conflict with the new ZA Pro5/5.1.33 paid version and the HP Photosmart printer is all fixed. Everything is working well. Troubleshooting has familiarized me with the firewall, too.

Here is what happened. Last night I decided to postpone more troubleshooting on the conflict between ZoneAlarm Pro 5 and Photosmart 7350. I tried to put the system on Standby but received a third and new error message "Print Spooler is preventing machine from entering standby", so I just powered off the computer. When I turned on the computer this morning, during boot I received the message "Unable to start driver for "HPHipm.exe (HPHipmil.exe)", and I clicked O.K. The printer suddenly came back to life and began printing a document that had been waiting to be printed. From that time, the printer has been working properly. I put the system in Standby today and did not receive the Print Spooler message.

Although I did a restart after installing ZoneAlarm and another one during the day, it seems that what was needed was a complete shut down, which I inadvertently did when I could not get into Standby. This got the printer running and eliminated the "HPHmon04 has encountered problem......"

What remained was to eliminate the message "Unable to start driver for Hipm.exe (HPHipmil.exe)" at startup. I found the (HP)PML Driver in ZoneAlarm Program Control and although it was not blocked, it had question marks across the board (meaning ask first). I put a check to allow in Access Column for Trusted and Internet. I did a restart and the message did not appear again.

Thanks everyone.....

Miki

Collapse -

It sounds like ZA is blocking your printer from accessing. Look under programs to see if it is blocked. If so, then change settings to allow it. If that's not the issue, try uninstalling the printer, rebooting, and just plugging the printer back in. Windows will probably install the drivers. As for all the alerts, that is pretty much dependent on what is installed on your computer vs your friends, and what kind of sites you both try to access. Allowing ZA to choose the settings is probably best if you don't know how to configure it. It will always choose the safest settings, that will keep your computer hidden from hackers, yet still allow you access to alot if the internet. When it does ask, you can always ask for more info to tell you why it is asking.
You'll get more comfortable with it as you use it.

Collapse -

If you wish, you can check what ZA settings have been made for alerts.

In the system tray bottom right of the desktop, double click the ZA icon to bring up the ZoneAlarm program dialogue window.

Click "Alerts & logs" on the left, and on the right click the Main tab. The first option will be "Alert Events Shown". if Off is chosen, then you will not be warned of any intrusion attemptsr. Any programs on your computer trying to access the internet will still bring up an alert unless you have given ZA full permission to allow access, and to remember the permission.

You can also look at the log of events ZA has blocked or allowed without alerting you. Just click the Log Viewer tab.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -

Thank you, Mark -- every little bit helps me find my way.

"Alert Events Shown" is on medium, and the Log viewer shows more than 50 blocked incoming alerts since I installed ZA earlier today.

OTOH my NAV 2005 log which had been reporting 2 or 3 Trojans blocked by default daily is not showing anything since 1:25 AM this morning.

Miki

Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 Installed

Frag -- I do not have HP printer in ZA programs, but I do have PML Driver. Here is an excerpt from a reply I just received from HP on subject. "Generally, security software have options to allow programs to be excluded from protection. After you locate the option, enable unrestricted access for all settings for PML Driver. You can also enable "PML Driver" to start other programs. Follow this step for all HP programs found on the list. The following are some examples of HP programs:
* PML Driver
* HP Device Object
* HP Flight Recorder
* HP Event Manager"

ZA has PML Driver automatically configured as follows:

Program Control -- Question Marks across the board under access, server. send E-mail.

Program Options -- checked are allow open process, enable outbound mail protection, authenticate component.

I don't know from looking at PML driver config if it is completely blocked or not.

I don't have much confidence in some of the HP tech advice. Do you think I should follow this procedure? If so, what needs to be done to unblock PML driver if it is blocked.

About incoming alerts, I think it will be easier for all if I put that subject on another thread, because I do have some questions. I had two outgoing alerts when I first connected online after install. Since then, I have had one outgoing program alert for liveupdate. I thought I would be nagged constantly with incoming and outgoing program alerts as is my friend by his ZA 5.0. His computer activity is much less than mine. However, as we speak, I found the log and there is quite a list of firewall only alerts in the log. So what do I know!!!!! Happy

Miki

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 Installed

"I don't know from looking at PML driver config if it is completely blocked or not."

The question marks indicate that ZoneAlarm should ask you each time that program attempts to access the internet.

Collapse -

Hi Brent -- Is is not asking me anything. When I first connected to AOL following install, I did get alerts for AOL, I.E. and waol.exe., and I clicked "Allow" and checked "Remember this setting."

Thank you for you reply.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized
NAV 2005

Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33

It must be working O.K., but silently. I looked on the Overview page -- Inbound Protection 238 intrusions (1) high risk have been detected since install (about 1:00 PM today).

Outbound Protection --14 programs secured for Internet Access.

I just this moment received one blocking alert window where I clicked O.K. But where were the other 238?

First, I need to bring my printer back from the dead and up and running......and as I go along, I will be able to make more sense out of the 245-page ZA Pro manual I downloaded Happy

UH OH! Here are two more alerts that need to be checked O.K.

Miki

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33

Hi again Miki.

I'm glad you found your Alerts and Logs settings. You mentioned that while ZA has recorded 200 or so attempts, Nav 2005 has only recorded 2 or 3.

If you have 2 firewalls installed on your computer they can either compliment each other or fight against each other.

Eg: compliment, ZA seems to be the first line of defence. It blocks 200 or so intrusion attempts, then any it misses Nav 2005 stops.

But working against each other, ie conflicting? You have been saying that your HP printer doesn't work and you have to give permission to ZA for pml drivers to pass data to the printer. What about Nav 2005? Do you have to do the same to that program?

If ZA is allowing the driver through, but Nav 2005 is not, then perhaps that is why the printer doesn't work.

Personally I am not a big fan of Nortons software. It tries to do too much and is too intrusive. I use other, separate programs for the firewall, for my antivirus,, my anti-adware and for my spyware protection. Having said that, I don't want to influence you. many people on these boards swear by Nortons, and are very happy with it.

Finally, you mentioned about the 238, (I just saw the proper figure!), inbound intrusion attempts and ask why you didn't get a warning about them all from ZA. I'm not sure. But I think it is to do with settings again. What you could try if you wished to experiment, is to set the Alert Events shown to "High", and see what happens. I reckon you may reduce it after a while as you get bored with clicking OK to all the attempts, Happy

Good luck with your reading. If you get bored, you may find the ZA forums useful at www.zonelabs.com. You have to "Accept" an agreement about use of the forums, (but that is no big deal), before you can access the forums, but they do have very good technical advice there about ZA specific problems.

The site is at:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/userForum/userForum_agreement.jsp

Mark

Collapse -

Hi Mark -- thank you for your message. Did you see my post on this thread with "Good News" added to the subject line?

To answer your questions -- I have only one firewall; I did not have to give NAV 2005 permission; and once I changed the question marks to "allow" beside pml driver on ZA Program controls I don't see the error message any more. In fact everything is going well and I find ZA easy now that I am relaxing a bit and understanding is increasing Happy

I, too, am not a Norton fan, but I think the NAV2005 is a good version. You are correct in that ZA has become the first line of defense and taken over for NAV2005. I did not, however, get the ZA Pro 5 that included Anti-Virus.

What I want to know is if all my ports are on stealth and my computer is invisible, how come so many packets are knocking at my door? Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Info for Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 and HP Photosmart Printer

I received this post a few minutes ago from ZoneAlarm tech re Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 (paid version). It is a reply to an E-mail I sent to their Customer Support. The reply was sent within two days. It may of help to someone who has the same problem.

>>Hello ,

>>Thank you for your e-mail

>>I understand your printer does not work properly after installing
>>ZoneAlarm. You need to give PML Driver full access for the printer to work
>>correctly. Open ZoneAlarm, click the Program Control Panel, Programs Tab,
>>click Add, in the "File name" field type in %WinDir% and press Enter, then
>>double click on the System32 Folder. Find and double click hphipm09.exe
>>in the list of files (Depending on your printer, it may be hphipm10.exe or
>>hphipm10.exe). You should now see PML Driver on your programs list, give
>>it access for everything other than send mail.

>>Thank you for choosing ZoneLabs.

In my case, the PML Driver was already listed on ZA Program Controls, and all I had to do was change from "ask" to "allow" for Access -- Trusted and Internet. I did not change "ask" to "allow" for Server -- Trusted and Internet. I suppose it would not hurt if I did that, too......but everything is working well now.

Miki

Collapse -
Re: Info for Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 and HP Photosmart Printer

In reply to: Info for Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 and HP Photosmart Printer

I just upgraded to ZA 5.5, foolishly assuming they would have fixed this printer driver error by now because the pml workaround above works only for awhile then must be done again, or you could disable ZA at startup as some have done, which leaves you vulnerable if you forget to manually start it. Well guess what the new 5.5 still has the same problem. Do Zonelabs engeneers not like HP printers? Do I need to buy a Cannon in order to print? Rediculous Gary

Collapse -
Re: Info for Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 and HP Photosmart Printer

In reply to: Re: Info for Zone Alarm Pro 5.1.33 and HP Photosmart Printer

Gary -- The Photosmart printer problem was indeed a nuisance...as you mentioned, you had to keep fixing. The latest ZAP also did other things like bumping heads with NAV 2005 worm protection feature causing crashes and my beautiful LCD to constantly flicker when online. I am really happier without the ZAP and using NPF 2005 instead. Evrything works well together. Different things for different systems. I like my Photosmart printer and replacement would not be an option I, personally, would consider. I had no choice but to remove ZAP because of all the other conflicts. You do have a choice to change firewalls, however.....there are many mentioned on this forum.

Miki

Collapse -
Reply to my own question

I wrote:
>What I want to know is if all my ports are on stealth and my computer is invisible, how come so many packets >are knocking at my door?

.......and now I know why Happy .....

About Port Scans

"Port scanning means using an automated tool to systematically try to connect to every port on a computer. While port scans have some legitimate uses, hackers use them to look for unprotected computers with unguarded ports, typically scanning random blocks of Internet addresses.

Successful port scans can retrieve a variety of information about a computer, such as its operating system and the programs it is running. Because you are using ZoneAlarm Pro, your computer remains invisible to port scans. Hackers performing scans do not even know your computer exists, because no information is returned by the scan."

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, It's Getting A Little Spooky....

In reply to: Reply to my own question

...you're talking to yourself... Wink

Good job...ZA will actually give you a lot of information if you read the "Help" data, etc.

Take care.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Miki, It's Getting A Little Spooky....

In reply to: Miki, It's Getting A Little Spooky....

LOL @ Grif,

Miki, I'm glad you've got everything worked out now, and that ZA replied to you so quickly. They seem to be one of the better Tech Support people to respond to queries.

Good work.

Mark

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Miki, It's Getting A Little Spooky....

A spooky blonde! That's some combination Happy

For the purpose of information to those with ZA 5.1.33, along with HP Photosmart Printers, and NAV 2005, here is an update.

ZA and printer continued to do well and survived two NAV 2005 virus defs LiveUpdates . However, last night LiveUpdate sent through several updates other than defs. During the install, the progress bar stopped
moving for about 10 to 15 seconds and then finished.

When this happened, I had a feeling it had something to do with a ZA conflict.

This morning when I booted the printer there was a reappearance of the error messages "Unable to start driver for "HPHipm.exe (HPHipmil.exe)", "Print Spooler is preventing machine from entering standby", and "HPHmon04 has encountered problem......". I checked out Program Controls and the PML driver was still configured correctly to "allow". So....I unchecked the "allows" for PML and then rechecked them and did a restart. Then all was well.

Thanks Grif and Mark for your good wishes.

Miki

Collapse -
Now I have Trouble!

I was placing an online order with Eddie Bauer when my computer crashed -- never had that happen since 1998 --it did some sort of "dumping", told me to press F8, and then rebooted again. Before that, I was at the Washington Post website.

Can anyone tell me what happened and what this means? Is the 1sass.exe in my computer already and trying to send itself? I did a Search and it did not show up. Here is what was recorded in my NAV 2005 Internet Worm Protection Activities Log:

11/6/2004 12:50:48 AM
An instance of "C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe" is preparing to access the Internet.

11/6/2004 12:50:07 AM
An instance of "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe" is preparing to access the Internet.

11/6/2004 12:49:49 AM
Rule "Unused Windows Services Block" blocked communication.

11/6/2004 12:49:47 AM
Internet Worm Protection configuration updated: 74 rules
Local address: All local network adapters(1025).
Process name is "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe".

Internet Worm Protection configuration updated: 74 rules.

NDIS filtering is enabled.

My virus defs are dated Nov 04 and are always up-to-date. I did a full scan Nov 04 and one as we speak. There was nothing logged in Zone Alarm.

I am a wreck! Happy

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized
NAV 2005 Zone Alarm 5.1.33

Collapse -

Miki
I'm going to ask one of the experts here to help but i did a little bit of research on this and I don't know why NAV 2005 is reporting all this. lsass.exe is a Microsoft process that the sasser worm and others exploited IF the vulnerabilty was not patched with a Microsoft patch which I'm sure you did. ccApp.exe is part of NAV 2005 which you can read about at the link I'm going to post. I wouldn't doing anything about fixing this until one our experts does some looking into it.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/pfdocs/2003010811511306

Collapse -
Miki, It Sounds Like A 'Memory Dump'

Collapse -
Re: Miki, It Sounds Like A 'Memory Dump'--Yup

In reply to: Miki, It Sounds Like A 'Memory Dump'

Hi Grif -- here's more info -- The crash last night in all probability was a conflict between NAV 2005 and ZA 5.1.33 because:

NAV was working beautifully before ZA install and getting along fine with HP Printer. When printer did not work after ZA install and I had to "allow" the PML driver on ZA, it all worked well again......until NAV yesterday LiveUpdated three other than virus defs files. Then I had to fix PML again on ZA Program Control.

When my computer went blue, the ZA "Program" log emptied out and has had nothing listed since and there have been no program alerts. Maybe a corrupt file there? The "Firewall" log is still working, and I am getting some alerts.

From the first day I installed NAV2005 (early October) I saw what is listed below in the NortonInternetWormProtection/Worm Detection Log every day. I called Symantec about it. They explained it away. I checked my friend?s computer on which I installed NAV2005 and he had the same list. I figured it was the way NAV worked.

Category: NAV Worm Detection Log (sample for 1 day)
Date,Message,Details
11/6/2004 9:00:19 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 9:00:19 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 9:00:16 AM,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.
11/6/2004 9:00:16 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 9:00:16 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 8:58:59 AM,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.
11/6/2004 8:58:59 AM,Internet Worm Protection Signature File Version: 8/31/2004 Rev. 4. Internet Worm Protection Engine Version: 1.7.3.,Internet Worm Protection Signature File Version: 8/31/2004 Rev. 4. Internet Worm Protection Engine Version: 1.7.3.
11/6/2004 8:58:59 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 12:53:09 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 12:53:08 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 12:51:05 AM,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.
11/6/2004 12:51:05 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 12:51:04 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.
11/6/2004 12:49:48 AM,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.,Internet Worm Protection has been enabled.
11/6/2004 12:49:48 AM,Internet Worm Protection Signature File Version: 8/31/2004 Rev. 4. Internet Worm Protection Engine Version: 1.7.3.,Internet Worm Protection Signature File Version: 8/31/2004 Rev. 4. Internet Worm Protection Engine Version: 1.7.3.
11/6/2004 12:49:48 AM,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.,Internet Worm Protection is monitoring 3 signatures.

The lsass.exe, which was the name on the blue screen, from what I can gather should have asked permission, but I never got to see the alert.

As far as startup I have 10 programs in startup -- 2 are HP; 3 are Symantec (there is a new one -- Syment~sndmon.exe); 1 is ZL. There is also the dumprep 0. I don't think I need that and I will remove through the Registry. I don't like unchecking in msconfig and using selective start.

My housekeeping is faithful -- I defrag and scan disk/error check. I clean temp and temp/internet from within AOL along with history several times a day. I keep no more than four cookies. I also show hidden files in Explorer and clean and work from there. With AOL, however, it is better to delete cache from within. I also applied the sass patch sometime in April methinks.

Thanks, Grif -- for being there, as always.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, Other Options....

In reply to: Re: Miki, It Sounds Like A 'Memory Dump'--Yup

First, recognize that some users are having problems with the newest ZA 5.1.033 firewall. Try disabling it at start up, enabling the Windows XP firewall, and see how it runs for a while. To disable the ZA firewall, open the ZA console by double clicking on the ZA icon in the lower right, select the "Overview" tab on the left, choose the "Preferences" tab, then UNCHECK the box that says: "Load At Startup". Choose "Yes" when it asks "Are you sure?".

Now enable the XP SP1 firewall by opening the Control Panel, double click on "Network Connections" icon, RIGHT click on your specific internet connection icon, choose "Properties", then choose the "Advanced" tab. Enable the firewall from there. Restart the computer.

If everything is running fine after this, then it's possible that ZA is conflicting with NAV. You might choose to install the previous version of ZA which some are using. Click on the link below, and select the 4.5.594 version. Uninstall your current version completely, then install the older version that you've just downloaded. It should work fine for you.

ZoneAlarm Release History

Hope this helps.

Grifr

Collapse -
Re: Miki, Other Options....

In reply to: Miki, Other Options....

Hi again, Grif -- I will try what you suggest first chance I get. I have never enabled the Windows XP SP1 firewall. The reason I went for the Pro 5.1.33 version was because it was promoted as being compatible with XP SP2, which I will install when the bug with AOL/DSL is fixed. My friend is using Zone Alarm Pro 5XXX (lower version than mine) boxed edition and NAV 2005 and has no problem with compatibility. Is the 4.5.594 version free or paid?

I had no problem with NAV 2005 for the month it was installed before ZA. I am sure the ZA Log Viewer for Programs is corrupted as a result of my blue screen event as it is still blank.

If it becomes any more of a hassle, I am going to remove it.

Have a good Sunday.

Miki

Collapse -
Miki, Other Options...ZA new news Need Advice.

In reply to: Miki, Other Options....

I just spoke to ZA Customer Service. I was told that they were finding out the new firewall version 5.1.33 will not work unless XP SP2 is already installed on computer -- because of some Microsoft changes. They wanted me to uninstall my ZA and install SP2 and then reinstall. When I explained I needed to wait until the XP SP2 bug with AOL/DSL was fixed, they told me they would process a credit and Letter of Destruction.

It was suggested that I download a 15-day trial Pro version. I thought I would download the same 5.0 version I installed in my friend's computer, which has the NAV 2005 and AOL/DSL installed. It does not have an HP Printer though (but my printer problem was somewhat fixed) OTOH I see the new and previous 5.1 versions on Release History page show:

Fixed Internet Explorer browsing issues
Fixed AOL Browser issues

My AOL Browser is IE -- so does that mean there have been problems with AOL in previous versions?

Two customer service folks at ZA tell me the stripped free versions do not have enough protection. Of course, they would say that :).....

Whadda you think? -- Download one of the Pro 5,0 versions that is same as installed in friend's computer (5.0.590.043 released June 21; 5.0.590.015 released May 24)? Download 4.5.594? Worry about the AOL and IE Browser issues and go to another brand?

Won't y'all be glad when Blondie has a working firewall. Hopefully, there has been some value in my long posts as far as helping another viewer.

Miki
Dell Dimension 8250
Pentium 4 2.66 GHZ
Windows XP (SP1)
512 MB RDRAM
80 GB 7200 Ultra ATA
AOL/DSL 9.0 Optimized
NAV 2005 Zone Alarm 5.1.33

Collapse -

There have been previous posts here about version 5.1 being a problem. I uninstalled it and went back to version 4.5.

Collapse -

Yes I had read that about ZoneAlarm 5.1, and so I have never updated from 4.5, but I have now read at Microsoft's web site (url provided by roddy in another thread in this forum), which lists all the programs that might have issues with SP2, and ZoneAlarm 4.5.x was listed.

So, it seems I must install 5.1 now before I can download and install SP1.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Sorry

Sorry about my post.

It is probably not relevant to mikka's present problem.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: Update

In reply to: Re: Sorry

An update from Zonelabs.com forums

Zonealarm 4.5 will work with SP2, but the SP2 firewall will not recognise it. The message I got was this;

"Version 4.5 works fine with SP2, but you do have to manually disable Windows Firewall and check 'I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself' because SP2 can't detect the state of ZA."

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!