Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm & other programs

by gerri / October 9, 2004 10:25 AM PDT

I just downloaded the free version of Zone Alarm firewall. I also have SpySweeper, AD-Ware and AVG 6.0.

Do I need to keep SpySweeper now that I have the Zone Alarm? Am I confusing the function of each of them?
TIA,
Gerri

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm & other programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm & other programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm & other programs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 10:35 AM PDT

Spyware can still be easily installed with that firewall up. You still need to eject the spyware and use software that isn't being exploited such as Internet Explorer. Try Firefox or Mozilla.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm & other programs
by gerri / October 9, 2004 10:55 AM PDT

Should I still keep SpySweeper and Ad-Ware?

Collapse -
Yes. And the Antivirus stays too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 10:58 AM PDT

As long as you keep using IE, you must keep scanning for pests. Even if you stop using IE, you keep scanning...

I've never seen this so bad. So far, all the machines are showing this stuff ....

Of course not the office, but we switched....

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Yes. And the Antivirus stays too.
by gerri / October 9, 2004 11:02 AM PDT

I know this is probably a dumb question...since I have been out of the workforce where these were issues I did not have to worry about....but if I don't use IE, what else do you recommend???

TIA

Collapse -
The attack fronts are...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2004 11:16 AM PDT

1. Virus, trojans...

Mostly defended by your Antivirus. And you not opening or viewing or previewing email that you didn't expect.

2. Parasites, Spyware, Pests.

Found and removed by the usual tools (Adaware, Spybot, Cwshredder and others), these other sneak in due to flawas in Internet Explorer (read http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/ ). To slow it down, just use Mozilla or Firefox or any non-IE browser.

3. Firewall prevented attacks.

For the DOS based windows, no external exploit is known unless the system is badly configured. However Zonealarm can give the owner a sign that something is amiss by alerting the owner to outgoining connections.

That about covers it. You need three types of protections.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The attack fronts are...
by gerri / October 11, 2004 12:14 AM PDT

Thank you for your assistance...prompt as always!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.