Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm new version.

by ken west / June 23, 2006 5:59 PM PDT

Hello, I installed ZA 65 722 000 free version on my PC with WXP SP2. The installation was ok but, first the icon do not appear and second, when i try to open ZA exe file to configure it, Windows tell me: access denied; making it useless. Till today i never had problems. Can someone tell me what is going on? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm new version.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm new version.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Erase and do a clean install
by bglover51 / June 23, 2006 9:11 PM PDT

Many people over the past few years have experience problems upgrading Zone Alarm. Your problem, sadly, is not unique.

Upgrading goes much better if you simply delete Zone Alarm and reinstall it from scratch-- the new update even gives you the option to do so.

Suggest you just erase all your Zone Alarm components and start over.

Collapse -
by ken west / June 24, 2006 2:04 AM PDT

Craig, i did that few times with the same problem, so now i have Sygate but i prefer ZA. Other suggestions?

Collapse -
Ken, under similar conditions...
by glenn30 / June 24, 2006 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

Here is what I do. After you uninstalled ZoneAlarm most likely some remnants of the software remains in a folder or registry items remains... this has happened to me with other software... especially with Norton or Symantec. I would manually delete any folders with ZoneLabs or ZoneAlarm name. Then edit the registry to remove all such names and remnants.

I cannot tell you how here to edit the registry... so be careful if you are inexperienced there. Also make a backup of the registry before attempting this.

I feel very confident if you can do this ZoneAlarm will install correctly. My computer setup is like yours and I have no problems with ZA.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
I gave it up
by ken west / June 24, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

Thanks Glenn, i tryed your suggestion with no result; or, at least, there is something above my PC knowledge. So i will keep Sygate till next new ZA version. By the way, when, in the beginning, i tryed to upgrade, a notice appeared telling me that that version was not compatible with W98 and the installation ended, even if in my PC is running WXP. Perhaps, in the end, our brain is better than the powerful PC. ^_^

Collapse -
You have a good point...
by glenn30 / June 24, 2006 1:03 PM PDT
In reply to: I gave it up

Hope you can get it sorted out... seems to me like if the popup referred to Windows 98 that there is something left from the previous version. That was my reason for suggesting all old remnants be removed. As I understand it the new version will not work on Win 98... I could be wrong but that is my reason for suspecting something was left behind that will not work with the new version.

Sygate will probably do the job but I hope you find a solution because like you I like ZoneAlarm.

Best of luck to you,

Collapse -
I have, since Win98, ALWAYS installed
by William Randall / June 24, 2006 4:27 AM PDT

Zone Alarm Free WITHOUT UNINSTALLING the prior version and I've never had any trouble.

My WinXP PRO is humming along just fine after EACH and every upgrade to ZA.

NO, I'm not any paid hack or otherwise for ZA.

I'm sorry you have had trouble, but, the vast majority of ZA users have not.

IMHO 2, you have/had OTHER issues OTHER than Zone Alarm.

Kind of like all the crap about SP2 for WinXP.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?