Computer Help forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm lsass.exe

Hello - I just checked the program files in Zone Alarm and noticed that a program called LSA shell (export version)was a running program. The C:windows/system32/lsass.exe was shown as the program detail. This is something that has never shown up in the ZA program files before.

I tried to remove it but the ZA warning stated that one should not remove a program that is running. What to do?

Windows XP
running SP2

Would appreciate anyones' help. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm lsass.exe
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm lsass.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
lsass.exe

In reply to: Zone Alarm lsass.exe

This is a system file allowing you to log on to windows and is essential for windows to work. It can also be subject to attack from Trojans and file imitators, but you need to check that yours is not corrupted. Run a virus/spy check.

Collapse -
Isass.exe

In reply to: lsass.exe

Hello, thank you for your reply. During the week Trend Micros Trial AntiSpyware program found a trojan and I thought their process eliminated it. I have been running Adaware (updated)and check system regularly; as well as avast home version and neither of them had found anything. I have also used ccleaner and tweak now registry cleaner and again nothing. I ran One other thing - in reviewing the Avasts unable to scan log, i noticed a new file call msmom.dll - could this be part of my problem? Anything else that I can do? Appreciate your help.

Collapse -
A few notes...

In reply to: Isass.exe

* msmom.dll should be fine, as it's a file associated with MSN Explorer. To be sure, verify that you have MSN Explorer installed, and that the file is located in the directory C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles.

* CCleaner simply cleans out junk files...it does not provide any security.

* RegCleaner does the same thing to your registry as CCleaner does to your computer as a whole, but again, no security.

* AdAware only searches for adware, meaning it will rarely catch spyware, viri, etc.

* Avast is pretty good, but it does miss things, so a second opinion is a good idea. I recommend performing a free online virus scan using HouseCall (from TrendMicro) by clicking here.

* I'd suggest getting a permanent solution for spyware...I recommend getting the free programs Microsoft Antispyware and Spybot, then running weekly scans with them.

* Do you happen to remember what the name of the trojan was that TrendMicro AntiSpyware caught?

* Lsass, located in C:\Windows\System32\LSASS.exe, is a Windows system file and not permitted to be deleted. It sould be fine, but an online virus scan should verify it's legitimacy.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Mousearama

In reply to: Zone Alarm lsass.exe

Thank you for your "layman" reply. Appreciate knowing what the programs actually do. Unfortunately TMantispyware did not mention the name of the trojan or at least not that I could see. But there must have been one as I was having trouble accessing the internet with my settings constantly being changed. Even with the reboot I appear to have better stability with accessing the internet.

Had to reboot my system today to an earlier setting which did not have the Trend Micro AntiSpyware program on it. Interestingly enough the lsass.exe program no longer was showing up on zone alarm. Coincidence? I had backed up my system on January 17th and used this backup date to restart to.

I do have spybot search and destroy on my system and did a run scan with everything coming up clean. I went to Housecall (have used in the past) spending quite a bit of time allowing it to down load and then scan. It found 2 cookies that were a "problem" and asked if I'd like to delete and so I did. Then the program hung up on me - I sat in idle for over 45 minutes waiting and waiting and nothing happened so I left the program. In your expertise, is this normal? I did not use the plug and play but the java kernel to access their program. If I used the wrong program kernel then please advise.

Again appreciate your help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.