Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm (free) and Norton AnitVirus

by BobH / June 20, 2004 1:21 PM PDT

Is anyone else having this problem. I have my computer set to automatically update Norton. It will do so when I boot up the computer, but Zone Alarm will give me an error message telling me my AntiVirus software is out of date or has expired. If I go to Live update and try that, it fails and says I should try again later or reinstall LiveUpdate. I am very confused!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm (free) and Norton AnitVirus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm (free) and Norton AnitVirus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Zone Alarm (free) and Norton AnitVirus
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 20, 2004 2:41 PM PDT

Bob,

It sounds like you are running the newest ZoneAlarm 5 updated version. There have been a few problems with that program when it is installed AFTER your current antivirus, and that includes Norton and McAfee. Although there are no guarantees, the problem can frequently be fixed by uninstalling the antivirus program, then reinstall it so ZoneAlarm can "recognize" it correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by William Finder / June 20, 2004 2:55 PM PDT

... or UNINSTALL ZA5 (I read where this was recommended by ZA itself until the bugs are worked out) and install ZA version 4.5

Collapse -
by BobH / June 22, 2004 12:07 PM PDT

Thanks, Gif and William! I uninstalled ZA 5.0 and reinstalled 4.5 and all seems to be back in working order again. I didn't want to remove Norton AV and reinstall it again.

Collapse -
How about turning off the notification?
by Coryphaeus / June 22, 2004 9:53 PM PDT

If your AV is up to date, turn off the AV Monitoring.

Collapse -
by Poppop / September 3, 2004 2:48 AM PDT

Bobbi, I have similar (?) problem: at boot, a Norton Live Update "System Status" appears with RED X "Update Service for Virus Protection--Expired."
Yet I renewed online a month ago.
However, about same time I renewed, I'd switched from JUNO Platinum to Verizon DSL without installing Outlook Express. At end of Live Update renewal online, I skipped something to do with Outlook Express,but I clicked "finish" anyway and got confirmation of renewal in an email. Since then, the warning pops up at boot.
I double-clicked Norton icon and saw that Norton A-V WAS indeed updated.
The warning window is a nuisance.
(Perhaps not installing Outlook Xpress and latest I.E. with DSL insatallation prevented the Live Update renewal to truly "finish"?)
Symantec's FAQ Help hasn't helped and Tech Support hasn't replied.
Maybe someone else out there can help both of us.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.