Computer Help forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm download from cnet has messed up my computer.

by IncredibleHulk55 / September 27, 2010 10:05 AM PDT

Sunday I downloaded a free version of Zone Alarm from this Web site, CNET, from the "Popular Downloads" list. Now, every time I turn on my computer, it starts to automatically shut down within 60 seconds, but then never shuts down and just hangs in an endless loop. It has a box that says the shut down is ?Initiated by NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM" and "Windows must now terminate because the Remote Procedure Call Service terminated unexpectedly."
I can see the icon for Zone Alarm on the desktop before it goes into its non-shutdown. I can open the Task Manager, but can't shut down the shut down program; no Programs show in the Applications tab; the Processes tab shows a whole screenful of items related to ZoneAlarm, but I can't End Process all of them before the computer shuts itself off.
I have Windows XP on a Toshiba Satellite 2805, circa 2002.
How do I get to the place where I can take ZoneAlarm off my computer? What will happen if I try to drag the ZoneAlarm icon to the trashcan before it shuts down (probably nothing since it?s a shortcut, right?)? Will it come off with ?Add or Remove Programs? (if I can get there) or have I ruined my computer? Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm download from cnet has messed up my computer.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm download from cnet has messed up my computer.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Restore point?
by RCF_Rose / September 27, 2010 2:31 PM PDT

Did you try restoring to a point before you installed Zone Alarm? Did you try getting into Safe Mode and uninstalling Zone Alarm from there?

@
\)/
Rose

Collapse -
Uninstalled
by IncredibleHulk55 / October 4, 2010 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Restore point?

Thanks, Rose. I was able to go in under Safe Mode and uninstall the program.

Collapse -
A Simple "Download" Shouldn't Cause Such Issues... Now...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 12:29 AM PDT

......INSTALLING a program such as ZoneAlarm may cause problems for some but you've indicated that you simply downloaded it to your desktop.. Is that the case? If so, then you may have actually downloaded an infected file..

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode, then using System Restore to a time before the download?

When was the last time you scanned your computer fully using a good malware removal tool such as Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware.. If you haven't, please do so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Uninstalled
by IncredibleHulk55 / October 4, 2010 12:54 PM PDT

Hi, Grif,
If I recall correctly, I got to the point where it said the program would restart my computer for me and then the program would be activated -- it just never shut down completely. My computer memory is really low, so maybe it didn't have room to restart.
I was able to go in under Safe Mode and uninstall the program.
I will check out Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.
Thanks!

Collapse -
What is....
by Papa Echo / September 28, 2010 9:31 AM PDT

....the name and URL of the CNet site, e.g. download.com; cnet.download.com.... ? What is the name of the file you downloaded ?

Collapse -
URL name, file name...
by IncredibleHulk55 / October 4, 2010 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: What is....

Hi, Papa Echo,
You imply that I may have gone to a fake CNET site or from the real one to a fake ZoneAlarm site. That may have been the case. The CNET site looked just like this one, though!
I was able to go in under Safe Mode and uninstall the program.
Thanks for responding.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?