Computer Help forum

General discussion

zone alarm causes my laptop to crash and restart...help!

hey everyone,
i own an acer laptop, and after loading zone alarm onto my laptop it now causes the laptop to restart everytime i turn it on.
when i get past logging into my user profile, the system crashes talking of a system error the screen is blue and the laptop restarts before i am able to make out what it is saying..(but i will try to decipher it if it helps.)
this makes it extremely hard and frustrating for me to be able to recover data and/or be able to put in the three back up discs that come with the laptop.
zone alarm also seems to work for every other computer and laptop except mine.
will i have to bring it back to a supplier or is there another way i will be able to restore my laptop to it's original conditon? (i have only had the laptop for about 6 months..)

thanking anyone who is able to help me in advance = D

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: zone alarm causes my laptop to crash and restart...help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: zone alarm causes my laptop to crash and restart...help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try SAFE MODE and System Restore to

In reply to: zone alarm causes my laptop to crash and restart...help!

Before the problem?

Very often I find the owner didn't uninstall some prior software such as a Norton Suite. A lesson we learn about AntiVirus and Firewalls is to only install one of each type.

Bob

Collapse -
Here is the most-accepted way of doing a complete clean ...

In reply to: Did you try SAFE MODE and System Restore to

Collapse -
lesson learnt...but still stuck....

In reply to: Here is the most-accepted way of doing a complete clean ...

hmm...yes..maybe that was the problem. i did have norton antivirus on the laptop then macafe and zone alarm was loaded on..i must've overdosed my laptop with my greed for a healthy laptop. >.<
but i can only just get past logging into my user profile on windows and the laptop will restart again.
is there a way of wiping clean all the data i have on the laptop before it starts to load windows, restoring my laptop to a 'working' condition?

Collapse -
I didn't read SAFE MODE

In reply to: lesson learnt...but still stuck....

If SAFE MODE works I can use system restore to before the issue or even manually kill off items.

Bob

Collapse -
THANKS!

In reply to: I didn't read SAFE MODE

thanks for the help..i managed to read the writing before it restarted and i got to safe mode and deleted the zone alarm program but i found that it was just zone alarm that was mucking up and not it clashing with another but ill just leave my laptop sone alarm free from now on..but needless to say the laptop is back to normal and still has all the stuff i had on it before...very pleased!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!