Computer Help forum

General discussion

Zone Alarm blocking Limewire hosts

by drdiaboloco / April 7, 2007 8:37 PM PDT

Since I installed zonealarm into my pc, i noticed that some video files that i wanted to download off of limewire retains connecting status for a period about 20 min then says need more sources even though you got 90+ sources available. I'm blaming zonealram for it because it only started when i installed it. I think ZA is filtering some IP address and blocking it without my knowledge. There isn't any blocked IPs on my firewall. Need help on configuring Zone alarm security suite.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone Alarm blocking Limewire hosts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone Alarm blocking Limewire hosts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And?
by jackson dougless / April 7, 2007 10:42 PM PDT

So ZoneAlarm is preventing you from doing something illegal, and you're complaining about it? That's an interesting way of looking at things. I would think you'd be thanking it. Maybe even getting down on hands and knees when you realize how virus infested the limewire network is.

In any case, you won't get any help here on that issue.

Collapse -
I knew someone stupid like you
by drdiaboloco / April 7, 2007 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: And?

will say that. If you can't really help just don't make a reply! If you want an argument about Limewire there is another forum for that.

Collapse -
But it has to be said
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 7, 2007 11:02 PM PDT

that discussing downloading files from Limewire or any other P2P is problematic in these forums.

These P2P applications are well known to be used for downloading copyrighted material, and this is piracy. Forum policy does not allow discussion on piracy or any other illegal acts.

In addition, a significant proportion of the computer problems posted in these forums can be traced back to downloading virus infected files through P2P servers.

Unless you can say that these video files you are trying to download are not copyright protected and that you are not participating in illegal activities, this discussion will remain locked.

You can contact me through my profile email.

Mark

Collapse -
This message received
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 5:18 PM PDT
In reply to: But it has to be said

I received this:

Zone Alarm Blocking Limewire Hosts

The problem is zone alarm is doing something i din't tell him to do. i just want to know how to configure it. I know that limewire is a sensitive subject, but, my querry is about zone alarm, limewire just happen to be it's first victim. It may block other things too, and to prevent it from happening again i should learn how to configure it. i had similar problems with secret maker (blocking my downloads from download.com and other websites) but I learned how to use it now. If i made a post saying "Zone Alarm Blocking windows update" will it make a difference? You may say it's different, But it's the same querry only with a different victim.

My reply is below.

Mark

Collapse -
My response
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2007 5:33 PM PDT
In reply to: This message received

The primary purpose of this discussion was to help solve an apparent conflict between ZoneAlarm and Limewire.

You have already made your opinions on using Limewire very clear in this post here;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=237409&messageID=2434077&tag=mcnt#2434077

I have to return to Forum Policy on this. Discussing piracy and other illegal activities contravenes that policy and so this discussion remains locked.

You may not agree this decision or like it. Whilst I am sorry that we cannot help in this instance I would say that, once you have removed Limewire from your system, if you have any other problems with ZoneAlarm not related to P2P use, please feel free to post any questions you may have.

Mark

Collapse -
Final reply
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 10, 2007 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: My response

This will be the final post in this discussion.

In a further email from quertbarbie62 he says that he is trying to download a no cd crack for his ORIGINAL COPY of "EA games: Need for speed underground". He continued saying, "My disc is wearing off and i ask EA for a replacement but they said i have to send them my disc and PAY THEM AGAIN another

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.