HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Zone alarm alerts

by cockaigne / December 17, 2004 11:00 AM PST

When I first turn my machine on I continually get ZoneAlarm Alerts for weird programs, hN37d3.exe, RaOEed.exe, etc. which are trying to access the trusted zone. I can't find any of these programs on the machine nor are they found by Google. It is almost always the programs first attempt. I have been denying access with no problems, but it is very annoying as there can be 5-10 of these all at once. I'm using the downloaded ZoneAlarm Pro trial version. My computer is a Presario running XP SP2. Both Ad Aware and Spybot show the computer clean with the exception of DSO EXPLOIT. Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zone alarm alerts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zone alarm alerts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Zone alarm alerts
by Echo2 / December 17, 2004 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: Zone alarm alerts

If you cannot identify these programs(they are unfamiliar to me as well) then configure Zone Alarm so as to deny these programs internet access.
Do you have an antivirus? If so, update and run it as soon as you can.
You have run SpyBot, now download Ad-Aware SE, update and run it. Set Ad-Aware to do a full system scan and not just the default setting "Smart Scan".
Go to Start>Search >Advanced options click each one except "case sensitive". Type in the name of the file(s) and click Search. Then tell us where these files are located on your System. My guess is they are safe to delete given their unidentifiable nature. Usually a google search turns up something.
However, there is an off-chance they are related to some program on your system that you need or would like to keep.
Let us know how you make out!

Best,

Collapse -
sorry cockaigne, my mistake
by Echo2 / December 17, 2004 11:17 AM PST
In reply to: Zone alarm alerts

I see you have already run Ad-Aware. I don't know how I missed that.
So now download a trial of Spy Sweeper, update and run it.
I would also check out House Call and BitDefender online scans.
By the way, how is your PC performing? Have you noticed a corresponding decline in the routine functionality of your system since you first discovered these programs ?

Collapse -
took your advi ce`
by cockaigne / December 17, 2004 9:26 PM PST

I ran Spy sweep and it came up with 16 items and 68 traces. Most were adware and ones which I had run across before. Although, neither Ad Aware nor Spybot picked these up. 'IstBar' appeared to be the culprit in this instance. Looking at the scan, the files associated were like the files which ZoneAlarm was posting as trying to access the 'trusted zone'., i.e. a long list of strange .exe files. The only other items I recognized from AdAware and Spybot were 'Power Scan' and 'Bho_Sidefind'. I thought I had cleared these, but after 'Googling' them, I see where they may not be so easy to get rid of. Thanks for the advice and I have quarantined these particular ones and will see how my machine reacts. By the way, I'm pretty sure it was slowing down, although it's hard to tell sometimes. Anyway, will keep you informed.
COCKAIGNE

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.