HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

zombie computer?

by joey2000 / October 29, 2004 9:23 AM PDT

How would i be able to detect if someone counting key-strokes or is using my computer remotely? Are there any products that will detect any of this? I have a Dell 8300 w/512mb mem,3ghz p4,120gb hd. I use ad-aware and mcafee av.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: zombie computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: zombie computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: zombie computer?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: zombie computer?

Blimey!!

I typed "Keylogger" into Google and clicked search and found 1000's of sites offering me keylogging software!!

I was looking for anti keylogging software, lol.

joey, do the same. Search Google for keylogger. Check the links on the right for "Anti keylogging" or "key-logger removal" software.

Or search http://www.download.com.

Have you run any anti spyware? Like Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster?

Mark

Collapse -
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 29, 2004 10:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
by viperone / October 29, 2004 3:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
by joey2000 / October 31, 2004 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: zombie computer?

Thank you

Collapse -
by MartinM2517 / December 6, 2004 2:58 PM PST

Depending upon your OS, just having the likes of adaware, av software, etc. will not be enough. And, from what I've experienced through the years (been working with computers for over 20 years now), just having one av program, one anti-ad program is also insufficient. I've used as many as 4 different av programs just to get one virus removed from someone's PC or MAC, and in dealing with adware, I've used as many as 5 and 6 to remove all the troublesome files. I've since settled upon 3 antispyware programs and 2 av utilities to keep things safe. My suggestion is that you tryout the programs yourself and make your own decision as to what will work best for you.

Plus, depending upon your OS and your internet connection, you need to make certain that you have some sort of firewall protection. With dialup, it's not that much of an issue--but with cable and DSL it is. Windows and Mac both have firewall protection built-in; with the Mac being safer considering that there are 5 open ports on the PC right out of the box. You'll need to familiarize yourself with the firewall settings on your computer (go to the library and check out a good book on your OS if you don't have any information that came with your computer related to setting up your firewall). If you have a business, or if you have cable or DSL, you might also want to consider getting some firewall hardware and or software in addition since the standard firewall protection with Windows isn't sufficient. The most important thing is to close those ports.

Lastly, you could always switch to Unix or a Mac, much safer than PC's--even though I own only PC's running windows myself at the moment. In the future, I'll have a Mac or two and a PC running Unix to keep things safer.

Have a great day!

Collapse -
by glb613 / December 6, 2004 7:21 PM PST

You will need to run scans and look for the parasites that are responsible. Do you have a reason to believe your computer is a zombie?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.