Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Zero Tolerance Gone Awry?

by C1ay / October 13, 2004 6:24 AM PDT

PINE BUSH, N.Y. - A teen-age Civil War buff has been suspended from school and faces serious charges after his replica musket was found in his car trunk at school in the Orange County community of Pine Bush...

Phelps used the costume when taking part of the re-enactment of the Battle of Chancellorville which was staged by the 124th New York State Volunteers. The re-enactors say they are models of the unit that came from Orange County and fought in the Civil war. High School students were recruited to take part in the re-enactors club. Phelps' mother questions why give the students fake guns and then arrest them....

More...

Well, What do you think?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zero Tolerance Gone Awry?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zero Tolerance Gone Awry?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Zero Tolerance IS Awry
by Cindi Haynes / October 13, 2004 7:33 AM PDT

Hi Clay,

No matter how well-intentioned, ALL zero-tolerance policies stink, because no one rule can apply to every situation. Zero tolerance policies might be worse than political correctness!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Re: Zero Tolerance Gone Awry?
by Roger NC / October 13, 2004 8:05 AM PDT

I can't get it to work Clay.

I logged into the paper's page, but then when I try to drag the link into the window, it takes me back to the login page.

Generally speaking though, zero tolerance rules are for simple reasons (not necessarily good).

One, the authority rids itself of determining who's responsible, just equally blaming everyone remotely involved.

Two, the authority rids itself of most legal liability and accusastions of discrimination and/or unfairness by again equally blaming everyone involved.

And it's a great sound bite on the war on ***** (take your pick, drugs, crime, immorality.....).

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Login
by C1ay / October 13, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
I logged into the paper's page, but then when I try to drag the link into the window, it takes me back to the login page.

Hmm. When I went there from Google News it never asked for a login. This login from bugmenot worked for me though when I went back.

email: wilma@thezone.org
pwd: bob6bob

There are also more sites with the story here.

Collapse -
by EdH / October 13, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

I saw that story earlier today and was stunned. How can these so-called "educators" be so stupid? This is on a par with the kid who was sent home for drawing a PICTURE of a gun. It wasn't even a real gun for crying out loud (not that that makes a difference to the anti-gun nuts).

I'm waiting for somone to get in trouble for carrying a power drill or caulking gun because it "looks like a gun".

Collapse -
"The effects of law on schools"
by Dragon / October 13, 2004 11:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Dan McC / October 13, 2004 9:44 AM PDT

We should have a zero tolerance policy on zero tolerance policies. This stuff is just ridiculous.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Schools are run by school teachers, what'd you expect?
by Catgic / October 13, 2004 11:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: (NT) Schools are run by school teachers? Not
by Dragon / October 14, 2004 12:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
Liberal policy gone awry as ...
by null. / October 13, 2004 7:01 PM PDT

...usual
It's not the conservatives out there lobbying for gun control. It's time for SCOTUS to make sensible rulings on the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States. Which reads as follows

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Nothing in there about the type of weapon (assult rifle, handgun, shotgun, muzzle loader) or where and when we bear them, but is all inclusive of any Arms and they shall (will) not be controlled, restricted or banned in any way, shape or form.

How do we make them interpret this explicitly as written?

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Collapse -
It's been nutty for a long time
by Diane Harrison / October 14, 2004 11:08 PM PDT

It's not just guns. For years now, the kids face explusion if they even bring in a cough drop when they have been, or still are, sick. (We are stuck with lemon drop candies during the cold season). Girls can't be discrete and bring Midol in their backpacks anymore. No Tylenol for a headache or toothache.

if you want ANY OTC medicine, you have to go to the doctor, have a written prescription for the school, and then have the kid go to the office to have it given to them, causing a great deal of wasted time and embarrassment. And woe to the kids with ADHD or diabetes who need to take meds regularly. I know plenty of kids who refuse to take their meds rather than suffer the embarrassment of dealing with the system. The end result has been the paramedics arriving for diabetes flareups instead.

Yes, yes, this was meant to curb illegal drugs and kids passing out meds to other kids on campus, where the school might incur civil liability, but this has become insane. There is NO leeway for teachers to exercise common sense without jeopardizing their own careers.

Someone, somewhere has to exercise common sense. But while they are more afraid of civil suits than they are of students suffering from overbroad rules, that aparently will never happen. Heck, if you think about it, one of the most deadly things now for some people is peanuts. Will they outlaw those at school next? It only makes sense if it is concern for other students and civil liability.

I would suggest something so simple as just having the parent, rather than a medical doctor, write a note to allow a minor to bring OTC medicines to school. If the child shares, then common sense should apply. Cough drops in cold season are harmless enough and one would assume diabetics know better than to ask for them if they contain sugar.

Do these people have ANY idea how hard it is to get in to see a doctor for something so stupid as just getting a prescription for cold medicines?!! And when you do go in, the doctors go into a flaming hissy fit over wasting their time over a cold. And with many HMOs (like mine), you can't effectively get the doctor to write a presciption even for OTCs unless they see the child - their concern over civil suits too. (That's assuming you can even get in for an appointment prior to the child no longer needing the medicine). It's a no-win situation. I really don't appreciate the time lost at work either, when I have to drive to school, pick up a child, drive back to the doctor for a silly prescription for an OTC, and then drive to school or home, then back to work again.

Oh, yes, and the dumb civil suits have to go too. Should be penalties for bringing those frivilous actions that would dissuade both the party bringing it and any attorney who might want to run a silly action.

Collapse -
Re: Zero Tolerance Gone Awry? The notion is ALWAYS awry!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 14, 2004 11:30 PM PDT

Hi, Clay.

"Zero tolerance" simply means "zero logic" -- but it's typical of the black-white worldview that's all too prevalent these days.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?