Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Zen Vision M v. Zune v. Gigabeat S

by Mathemusician / November 19, 2006 6:29 AM PST

Alright, so I was looking for a new mp3 player and my first thread died quickly, so I searched the internet for a comparison between the 3 candidates I narrowed it down to (the Vision M, Zune, and Gigabeat S). To my disbelief, there was not one credible website that could compare them based on experience. Has anyone had the chance to try them, either two or all, side-by-side and compare their performance?

At this point, it's as much of a curiosity for me as a search for a new mp3 player. It would be great if you could say something about how the sound qualities, interfaces, and general appeal compared (if you've had a chance to use the softwares, that would be terrific too). Srry about the long read.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Zen Vision M v. Zune v. Gigabeat S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Zen Vision M v. Zune v. Gigabeat S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
check out my generalreview of these three at zunescene.com
by dee32181 / November 19, 2006 6:43 AM PST

the title is zune vs gigabeat s vs zen vision m vs ipod...

Collapse -
O God, not again
by Mathemusician / November 19, 2006 8:38 AM PST

Please, for everyone's sake, apple fanboys STAY AWAY. Honestly, I've never seen anything about the iPod that would make me choose it over any other player, but that aside, once again, APPLE FANBOYS STAY AWAY, WE WILL NO LONGER PUT UP WITH YOUR ANTI-MICROSOFT DOGMA.

Collapse -
What's so bad about the Apple Ipod?
by stlouisarch89 / November 19, 2006 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: O God, not again

Its sleek, its beautiful, the screen is pretty great, the battery life has been drastically improved, the screen is more Sharp, and the contrast levels are much better while playing videos. Don't see why to come here, and just yell at the people who like the Apple Ipods. I personally have never owned an Apple Ipod, I would love to have one, but those darn Portable Mobile DVR Players from Archos are just looking to good right now with Christmas just a month away!

Apple has great customer support at least! I personally, have never ever liked Microsoft's Customer Support, or with Creative. Archos doesn't have very good customer support. So at least we all should be able to agree that Apple at least cares about the customer.

Collapse -
I'm not going to bash microsoft
by ktreb / November 19, 2006 11:38 AM PST

After all, I am a pc user running windows, but own multiple iPods. That said, I would probably eliminate the Zune and go for either the Creative Zen Vision M (but have you seen the Vision W? it's gorgeous) or the Toshiba Gigabeat S. I cannot attest to the sound qualities of either of these, but I would gravitate toward these for the simple fact that they both support Plays for Sure so that I could buy content from different providers rather than be locked in. (Since I already own an iPod and am locked into iTunes, I don't need another device that is locked into its own universe) By the way, Toshiba manufactures the Zune and I've heard that it is a reworking of the Gigabeat. Neither the Zune nor the Gigabeat can be used as an external hard drive. For me, that is a definite deal breaker.

I'm not such an apple fangirl that I wouldn't consider other players. I'm actually thinking of getting an Archos 604 for it's video recording capabilities. Fairly slim, large screen, removable battery.

Collapse -
Go Archos
by cjohnbrown / November 21, 2006 10:39 AM PST

I am a self proclaimed archos fanboy and if you like the feature and the freedom of being a external drive than I would go woth the Archos. I have had two archos (402 and 500) and I am now looking to the 604 wifi. Archos rocks and you can use itune purchased songs with the Itunes plugin software that is already built in to the player. unOffical Archos Fan

Collapse -
Same Dilemma
by randalltex / November 20, 2006 5:18 AM PST

I am in the exact same boat. I want to buy the best I can get. I think it really comes down to preference, but it is so hard to get an unbiased opinion. I asked a friend and he said definately the iPod hands down... I am not so convinced.

I like that the Gigabeat S has the FM tuner and can handle most formats. For me, WMA is the format to have. I bought a Sony Network Walkman awhile ago and never had an MP3 player. The WMA sounded just as good and took up a lot less space. iPod does not deal with that.

I just stumbled onto the Zen Vision:W today. It looks really impressive. The only problem there is the lack of reviews. It sounds like it is a bit bulky, but the resolution sounds much better, and the screen is larger.

As far as the Gigabeat S goes, there were complaints about getting videos into the format for it to handle it. However, the opinions seem so skewed, five 9.0's and a 5.0 saying something just short of a thermonuclear meltdown.

Sorry for adding to the confusion. I wrote all this to say that I am narrowing my choices to the Gigabeat S and the Vision:W.

Thanks

Collapse -
Didn't mean to bash the iPod, it's just not for me
by Mathemusician / November 20, 2006 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Same Dilemma

Didn't mean to bash the iPod, it's great for apple users, and for those windows users who like them, that's great too. I guess I'll just never be as comfortable about my thumb having to run in circles trying to find my favorite track (she does it so fast, must be a learning curve). Anyway, my shouting was due to my considerable frustration at the gung-ho apple fans and anti-microsoft fanatics that can't seem to let a constantly rehashed, rather exhausted argument alone (comes from reading too many forums). Anyway, if I'm following this right, the Vision M and Gigabeat S seem to be up top, with the M having a slight lead. Any more opinions/advice?

Collapse -
(NT) The "she" referred to above is my cousin
by Mathemusician / November 20, 2006 6:08 AM PST
Collapse -
If you can't go with Archos, then....
by stlouisarch89 / November 21, 2006 1:18 PM PST

If your looking for a Portable Video Player or PVP then look at the Archos AV500, AV700, 404, 504, and 604 Models. The AV500 and AV700 are around $299.99 but they come with everything you need. On the otherhand, the 404, 504, and 604 Models don't come with the DVR Station. If your looking for a more smaller, and better looking Video Player, you really can't go wrong with either the Creative zen Vision M, or Apple Ipod 5.5. Both are amazing, but both have pro's and con's. The Gigapet or Zune if haven't ever tried, but I have heard some good things. I would suggest either the Creative Zen Vision M or Apple Ipod. None of them are perfect, but they all have good points, and bad points just like anyother device out there. Go out and get a M or Ipod 5.5, you won't be disapointed!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.