Cameras forum

General discussion

Z612 video

Hi,
I have a question - I have got 2 cameras for evaluation - Canon A540 and Kodak Z612. At the beginning I got A540 but I found that it has not enough zoom for my kids hockey and soccer games photos. But when I got Z612 I found out that the video quality 640x480 is the same as I take with A540 640x480 at 15 fps. Is there any option to get quality video (I mean like at A540) at Kodak or I should move to Canon S3 to get zoom and quality video in one pack?
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Z612 video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Z612 video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Kodak Z612

In reply to: Z612 video

I checked a review of the Z612 and there was no negative comments about the video.

I suspect you are viewing the video on your computer using Quicktime.

I have run into situations if you are using the free version of Quicktime, the software drops about half the frames.

Just to check if Quicktime is the problem.....connect you camera to your television (with the cable supplied by Kodak) and view the video on your television. If it runs smooth there, your problem is the viewing software.

Kodak uses MPEG4 for video.

Collapse -
Kodak Z612

In reply to: Kodak Z612

My initial question was 'couse I can see a good picture if I see it on the camera itself (LCD). I use the Kodak provided software to see the movies - I guess they use embedded Quicktime. Any suggestions how to convert it to a non-Quicktime format?
Thanx

Collapse -
Quicktime to AVI

In reply to: Kodak Z612

Collapse -
i dont understand

In reply to: Quicktime to AVI

Why people buy cameras who want video?

Collapse -
Because!

In reply to: i dont understand

There is no question that the camcorder with digital tape gives better results than a digital camera video mode.

Recording long video on digital tape is far cheaper that recording it to a memory card.

But try moving that video file to your computer from a camcorder.
For best results, you need a firewire connection and a good software package to handle it. Then you can end up with a short video clip in a format that the computer can use.

Move a video file from a digital camera:
Using a card reader, you can use Windows Explorer to move the video file to the computer. It is already in a format the computer can use.

Quick and easy for short video clips.

And people are finding more and more ways to use short video clips.
The quality of the image is not the requirement.
The subject matter is the requirement.

Collapse -
Z612 video

You stated that the video on the Canon A540 ant the Kodak Z612 are at 15 fps. The Kodak Z612 has the video at 30 fps and you can use the zoom as you shoot. You can also make snapshots from the video. You simply click on the picture as you review the video.

Collapse -
video

I said that Kodak video comes the same quality as Canon on 15 fps and it's 30 - at least that's what Kodak declare

Collapse -
Gotcha...

In reply to: video

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood you. But I have seen the Canon video and the Z612 and there is a huge difference. There is a review on both at Steve's digicams review site, one of the best on the net. You can check it out here if you want.
www.steves-digicams.com

Collapse -
Thanx

In reply to: Gotcha...

Thanx, I already did - but Steves reviews show the video he did on bright light - you almost dont see the difference. I took it on hockey and concert - you can tell the difference right away - from Kodak it looks like you are getting it from the internet streaming when Canon shows you maybe low light but video with good colors. Anyway I'm giving both camaras back - trying Canon S3 IS. Hopefully it'll have the zoom of Kodak and features and quality of Canon Happy

Collapse -
Good idea

In reply to: Thanx

Let me know how you make out. I'm interested in knowing what the real difference is for those $200. more. Happy

Collapse -
wow

In reply to: Good idea

I got it(S3) and this toy is much better then both I got before - both the video and the pictures are much better + if u shoot movie and zoom in/out - the picture still in the focus (this is not the issue in Kodak Z612 and A540 gives you only digital zooming during the shot. BTW u zoom in/out using optical zoom during taking video shots. I compared the quality of pics - in the hockey games - I can see the face of my kid now . I took pictures on auto and sport modes - only one blurry photo from 15 and that one I think was my fault - I started to fall down during the shot Happy I just started but I love what I see by now.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.