Question

Z-5500 speakers to Vizio LCD TV

I want to be able to hook up my Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound speakers to this TV:

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Z-5500 speakers to Vizio LCD TV
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Z-5500 speakers to Vizio LCD TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Right cable but?

Many HDTVs output stereo over the optical link. Drives owners mad.

Did you see if your visio did that?
Bob

- Collapse -
I have no idea

I just figured I would post the link to the TV and you could zoom in on one of the images and see. I really don't know much about any of this stuff.

- Collapse -
But this is something we have to read about hear.

But you're right. I need to see the manual to read it.

I had hopes to warn you about a common issue where most sets give you stereo on that connection.

- Collapse -
Here it is
- Collapse -
Link showing the issue on a samsung.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-524183.html wrote
"The optical outputs would also support analog signals. All outputs,
with the exception of the tuner, will be converted to a stereo signal.
(At least, it is that way with US models, but can vary by region)."

Why this is, is all about protecting content and HDCP. You need to be aware this is a common complaint about optical out from the HDTVs.
Bob
- Collapse -
So...

Will I be able to hook up my speakers to the Vizio TV with that optical cable in that link? I really would just like a yes or no, since I'm pretty ignorant on this subject lol.

- Collapse -
Yes, it's the riight cable.

And now you know what to expect.
Bob

- Collapse -
So...

It wouldn't really be surround sound? It would just be stereo? I'm not sure I understand the difference between the two..

- Collapse -
Since you don't understand the difference.

Then stereo or more will work for you.

With all the web to read about surround and stereo I have to stop here since I would be duplicating web content.
Bob

- Collapse -
asdfsd

I know the difference between surround sound and stereo. You were confusing me about all this other stuff. I just want to know: Will I be able to use that optical cable to hook up my Z-5500 speakers to this TV to get surround sound on everything I watch? I just want a yes or no answer.

- Collapse -
No.

And sorry if the issue is not interesting to you. Most wanted to know why they only got stereo.
Bob

- Collapse -
sfdasdf

Okay, that's all I'm interested in knowing.

- Collapse -
Not a cable issue.

I see the forum has bottomed out again. Sorry that you didn't want to know more.
Bob

- Collapse -
Okay

So will I be able to still get better sound than the TV sound if I have my surround sound speakers hooked up but it's stereo? Which speakers from this set would I need for stereo?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I can't reply when the forum bottoms out.

Try your new question in a reply to the top of your post or a new discussion.

Recap?

1. It's the right cable.
2. Stereo or surround? The reasons why are well discussed but will confuse some.
Bob

- Collapse -
Okay

I'm not sure why the forum would bottom out but here is that question again:

- Collapse -
The first question should be "yes."

The second question would be a tough one. It's unclear if this is supported by the speaker's maker. I will pass on that and leave that to its maker.
Bob

- Collapse -
So

Well what do you suggest that I do? I just got the TV and I don't really like the sound. I wanna be able to hook up these speakers and produce the best effect.

- Collapse -
I suggest you use the optical cable.

How does HDMI work? Now that it's been out a while I would be duplicating the web on how it works but for most of us it can result in a better picture.

Sorry but I can't duplicate ready web content but will try to get you the shorter version,
Bob

- Collapse -
fddfs

So I can set up all 5 of my speakers (4 satellites and 1 center) or do I only need to have 2 set up since it'll revert to stereo? Here is the link to the speakers in case you don't know:

- Collapse -
I see no setup notes for stereo only.

As to the revert to stereo I think you told me you were not interested in why this would happen or under what condition.

Why not set it up and hope?
Bob

- Collapse -
dsdffa

Well I want to be able to try something. If not the surround sound, I would like to use these speakers for stereo sound. I don't want them to be sitting around. I want to use them. So which of these speakers would I need for stereo sound?

- Collapse -
That's not documented.

SInce Logitech didn't tell in a document we'll have to wait and see. But there's the rub, no where do I read it is "correct" to unplug speakers and run this system.

But it's your gear so your choice to see what happens.
Bob

- Collapse -
Okay

So if you were in my situation, what would you do with this equipment? How would you set up these Z-5500 speakers?

- Collapse -
My choice?
- Collapse -
rtsgfhghj

But you basically just said in your previous post that it isn't a good idea to hook up these speakers to the TV..

- Collapse -

Oh, so now it's "sometimes" for stereo? Which one is it? If I buy that optical cable, will I get surround sound or stereo sound?

- Collapse -
Let's just say yes.

You will get one or the other depending on the source and capability of the audiovideo signals. I thought you didn't want to discuss the deep reasons for that?

- Collapse -
addf

You didn't say it would depend on signals. What kind of signals are you talking about?

- Collapse -
We have OTA, DVD, HDMI and what else?

I linked to the Samsung example earlier on but that's about where you said you didn't want such detail. Just yes or no. I've tried to keep it much simpler from then on.
Bob

CNET Forums