Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Your UN at work in the Balkans!

by Paul C / October 25, 2004 8:47 PM PDT

Let's see, now...the recent Afghan election featured heavy voter turnout, enthusiastic participation and virtually no disruptions. On the other hand, there are the UN's pathetic flailings in the Balkans:

Early results from the weekend's general election showed that five years of UN rule had only deepened ethnic divisions as Kosovo's voters signalled their despair with the Balkan province's administrators.

Barely more than half of Kosovo's 1.4 million voters went to the ballot box. While the province's majority ethnic Albanians were struck by apathy, its 130,000-strong Serb minority was seized by anger and completely boycotted the poll.

Only a handful of Serbs voted, following calls from Vojislav Kostunica, the Serbian Prime Minister, and the Serbian Orthodox Church to stay away. Mr Kostunica described the election as a "failure".

The level of absenteeism prompted Soren Jessen-Petersen, the UN governor in Kosovo, to protest that some Serbs had been intimidated into observing the boycott and had "had their democratic right to vote hijacked".

Let's be honest here: The UN can't find its backside with both hands, a map and a GPS receiver; so why on earth does John Kerry continue to insist that that hopelessly ineffective organization is the answer for Iraq?

Another question: Remember when Bill Clinton promised us that U.S. forces would only be needed in the Balkans for 12 - 18 months? Well, it's almost 10 years later, and we're still there, footing the bill for that operation - and 50 percent of the UN's piggy bank as well.

You folks who think that the UN's the answer, listen up: Can you honestly say that the Balkans, after all this time, wouldn't just revert to savagery and slaughter 5 minutes after the UN and NATO left? You can't, because you know it would. And you still think that we should meekly acceed to UN dictates? Give me a break!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Your UN at work in the Balkans!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Your UN at work in the Balkans!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a side note
by Dragon / October 26, 2004 1:24 AM PDT

51.5151515151515151515151515151515% (according to my calculator) of the Americans who are elligible to register, voted in the last general election.

http://www.issues2000.org/askme/Percentage_voting.htm

Im not sure how that squares with "Barely more than half of Kosovo's 1.4 million voters went to the ballot box," because I dont know how they define voters. Maybe those are registered voters? If thats the case, %62.1212121212121212121212121212121 of voters in the US voted in the 2000 general election.

Collapse -
Re: Your UN at work in the Balkans!
by 1234567 / December 1, 2004 8:25 PM PST

Hello!
I have to say that as someone who has UN background, I can only confirm your statement related to the work of UN in Balkans.
Final outcome is a catastrophy, and no final solution was offered.
But is it a surprise?
Well, take a look worldwide-UN is only failing.
My intention is to write a book one day on this, and it will not be a nice one.

Best regards,

Collapse -
Re: Your UN at work in the Balkans!
by Paul C / December 1, 2004 9:08 PM PST

Welcome to Speakeasy!

Perhaps some time you could expand on youe experiences for our enlightenment. I suppose that the Oil For Food fiasco doesn't surprise you either?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?