Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Your tax dollar at work

by Dan McC / October 24, 2005 4:50 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Your tax dollar at work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Your tax dollar at work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More religious school stuff for you to pick on
by Steven Haninger / October 24, 2005 5:21 AM PDT

I won't provide links or hard data. If you wish, you can easily dig this up. Here's more money that can go to catholic and other schools administered by religious organizations that, maybe, you were unaware of.

1. Public monies are available (based on head count) for certain school supplies such as audio visual and technolgy related hardware. Example, a catholic school can use this money to buy a TV but is restricted in that it cannot be used in religious education classes.

2.Public monies are available for transporation of students to and from catholic and other religious based schools along existing bus routes used for the public schools. This is only available based on a students distance from the school if no other viable means of transportation exists.

3.Public monies are available for government supplemented lunches for students in catholic and other religious schools for students whose familes economic situations qualify. As far as I know, there is no restriction requiring the student to abstain from praying before eating the government provided portion of his/her lunch.:)

4.Public monies are available for some text books (non-religious) in catholic or other religious schools.

5.Public monies are available to provide part time school nurses and special for catholic and other religious schools to perform similar functions in their public school counter parts. In some cases, these persons must operate outside of the school in mobile vans, etc.

Although the amounts of money available will vary from state to state and governmental layer to layer, they are and have been available for a long time. All who pay into tax systems own are part of these expenditures which go to private schools as well as public. These monies are regulated as to their use. You might desire that any private...especially religion based entity is on its own and should get no support or tax break for not using the public educational systems. Of course, this might lead to the insolvency of many systems and empty these students into the public schools...then watch your taxes go up!

I just wanted to make sure you have plenty to gripe about related to this issue.;)

Collapse -
I am aware of those issues.
by Dan McC / October 24, 2005 5:50 AM PDT

They are, as you are aware, intrinsically different from the issue raised in my linked article.

Thanks,

Dan

Collapse -
Maybe you have not noticed this
by Steven Haninger / October 24, 2005 8:21 AM PDT

but a tax is a tax and a tax distribution is a tax distribution. The process of raising, lowering, bundling and unbundling is like the old shell game. In this case, worrying about the rules of the game just distracts you from what is happening so you vent your anger/frustration toward the wrong people or institution. It does not take much astuteness to know that redistributing your coins between the different pockets in your own pair of pants does not affect the total amount you have to spend....though, I swear, some can't figure that out.;)

Collapse -
True, but taking money out of
by Dan McC / October 24, 2005 11:47 PM PDT

your pocket to buy booze and smokes is a far cry from buying salad and juice.

I don't object to spending the money, I just don't want to spend it to teach religious ideology.

Dan

Collapse -
Some object to Bob Jones' take on
by drpruner / October 26, 2005 5:18 AM PDT

creation, others object to JROTC. It's your world, deal with it. Alternative to both, BTW, is the bible.

Collapse -
Sorry, again, Doug, but
by Dan McC / October 26, 2005 5:43 AM PDT

I'm having a bad day fitting your posts to the context. Could you flesh this out a little?

Thanks,

Dan

Collapse -
Some schools teach a ragtag "creationism,"
by drpruner / October 26, 2005 7:19 AM PDT

others teach (w/public money) militarism. (Reserve Officer Training Corps and Junior ROTC)

Some of us object to both, and other things as well. Instead of complaining we look for alternatives and find them in the bible. Then we incorporate those teachings into our lives.

Or: Someone paid $640 of my money for a toilet seat, but I didn't. In the meantime, I wait for fulfillment of Ps 37:29, when the military will have no procurement budget, because no military!

Collapse -
I don't want my money spent supporting Planned Parenthood.
by Kiddpeat / October 26, 2005 2:52 PM PDT

That is a terrible organization founded on the concept of Eugenics. How about supporting my position?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not even close to the same thing, KP.
by Dan McC / October 26, 2005 11:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
So you equate
by Roger NC / October 27, 2005 12:14 AM PDT
booze and smokes

with

religious ideology.
Collapse -
Only in that they are
by Dan McC / October 27, 2005 12:33 AM PDT
In reply to: So you equate

two things that our tax dollars should not be providing to school children.

Dan

Collapse -
I have no argument with what you say .......
by grin_n_bare / October 24, 2005 8:15 AM PDT

In total agreement with the rules as stated.

However, since the government has little say about what is being taught, what if a Moslem school was teaching it's students, even if in a very subtle manner, to dislike and disagree with Americans and their way of life?

OK, since most religions teach that anyway let me put it more bluntly, what if they were teaching their students to hate all non-Moslem people and it was their duty to help make the whole world a Moslem world? You think I would not, or shouldn't, resent my tax dollars going to that school?

Collapse -
As best I can reply
by Steven Haninger / October 24, 2005 8:45 AM PDT

My own post expressed no opinion at all. In my own case, my kids went to a church run school. I claim no entitlements to any tax money that assisted in lowering my personal financial burden and so all I can do is express my profound gratitude that some assistance was there for me and my kids. I believe in the existance of both public and private educational systems that are true to the fundamental teaching and learning necessary to integrate the next generation of person into the adult world. One fact is that, early in the US, churches were responsible for building and running many institutions that were eventially taken over by public, private and business sector interests. Schools and hospitals are noteworthy to mention. These things were ''good' for the country and perpetuating it's existance for the later generations. It seems to me to be worthwhile to support institutions that integrate well and serve the same purpose even though there may be no requirement to do so. Now, an institution that is destructive, can still be viewed to see if it meets the same criteria. If it does not integrate well and serve a good purpose the public has no requirement to support it and should make it's decision accordingly. Just my verbose opinion.

Collapse -
You description sounds like
by dirtyrich / October 24, 2005 12:14 PM PDT

public, and not private, schools. Us History has become less about what our forefathers did to establish the nation and more about the suffering they inflicted upon the Native Americans and Blacks.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's just ridiculous.
by Dan McC / October 24, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
Collapse -
Considering that many non-Catholics ...
by Evie / October 24, 2005 1:39 PM PDT

... send their kids to Catholic schools, I don't think we have to worry about hatred being taught in those schools. If hatred of an inflammatory nature is taught in Muslim schools, they should be shut down whether private or receiving public funds.

Our public education system in this country is THE single biggest waste of taxpayer money. We keep pouring more and more money into it and getting less and less for the money. And EVERYONE pays it either in property tax or that portion of the rent that must be charged to cover the property tax and that means everyone. It's time to rethink the financing of the public education system at a minimum, the entire system optimally. There is no political will for this unfortunately Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No one likes your question, GnB
by Dan McC / October 24, 2005 11:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
I think it's a good question
by Steven Haninger / October 25, 2005 1:08 AM PDT

and worthy of discussion in the broader sense of this topic as has been visited and revisited here ad nauseum. But, since you added no personal comments with your initial post, I'd say the subject is wide open and has nothing to focus on in particular. You may think that any tax money going in support of schools where religion is taught or supported is a disservice and perhaps you think, that for all, the same opinion should be a given. I cannot support that notion.

Collapse -
Why should I pay for a public school when my kids do not
by Kiddpeat / October 26, 2005 2:55 PM PDT

benefit? Perhaps all schools should be private. Then we could all put our money only where we want it.

Collapse -
Are you saying that you
by Dan McC / October 26, 2005 11:54 PM PDT

think only taxpayers with children in public schools should pay school taxes?

Dan

Collapse -
A better way to look at this ...
by Evie / October 27, 2005 12:05 AM PDT

... is the WAY taxes are used to support public schools. Some jurisdictions spend close to $20K/pupil on their public schools. That is spread out to all property owners in the town and, usually, not divided on a per capita basis but on the basis of the assessment of their property. NOBODY gets away from paying for this from the moment one is responsible to find a residence to the day they die -- if not owning, property taxes are factored into rents as the landlords have to cover these expenses. My parents are STILL paying exhorbitant property taxes (and in their area it is itemized so we know exactly how much goes to the school). When one looks at the school tax they have paid just for the past 10 years it boggles the mind and it could have paid for college educations for each of their children.

Where is all that money going? Talk about gouging!!

Collapse -
That's a great idea!
by Josh K / October 27, 2005 2:37 AM PDT

We could change the W-4 form so that each person could itemize what government expenses they're willing to help pay for. That should only increase the size of the form to around 10,000 pages or so.

Collapse -
Maybe next the government
by EdH / October 27, 2005 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a great idea!

can subsidize automobiles for all. And microwaves and satellite TV!

Of course to be fair everyone would have the same ones of each product.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Are you equating satellite TV with an education?
by Josh K / October 27, 2005 3:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes. They are both things of value that someone can buy...
by EdH / October 27, 2005 3:20 AM PDT

Their relative worth may vary from person to person.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Steve, that was just [u]mean[/u]! :-)
by drpruner / October 26, 2005 5:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nope, that is THEIR, the voucher student's...
by Edward ODaniel / October 24, 2005 5:43 AM PDT

parents/guardian's tax dollars at work.

Through the voucher they are able to spend their own tax dollars on their own children in private schools. Without the voucher those same parents are forced to SUBSIDISE someone elses child in a public school IN ADDITION to paying for their own child's education.

Ain't it just terrible when tax monies you are forced to pay are able to be used for something you need (such as the education you want for your child)?

Collapse -
So?
by Evie / October 24, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

Lots of unfounded theories taught as fact in the secular public schools. Which wouldn't be quite so important if they actually taught the kids the basics!

Collapse -
Like,
by duckman / October 24, 2005 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: So?

"Bobby has two daddies"?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Much worse than that!
by grin_n_bare / October 24, 2005 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Like,
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.