Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Your Opinions on Top Antivirus and Antispyware

Dear All,
I just stumbled across this forum today after extensive searches for "top antispyware", etc. I've already spent hours and hours browsing through the stickies and posts and I have already downloaded many tools and noted numerous tips that other users have posted. I would just like to say thanks for this amazing community.

With that said...
When I bought this laptop, it came pre-installed with McAfee Security Center and a free 1-year subscription. For the past 6 months, I have solely been using McAfee as my AV. I was planning to surf through this first year with McAfee, but I have been growing increasingly concerned due to the number of people who criticize McAfee and Norton as well as how sluggishly my computer has been acting lately. Browsing the forum lead me to this post:

"All you need is one good anti-virus,one good anti-spyware scanner,a keyscrambler and a anti-spyware shield."

Searching for "top antispyware" led me to these programs: Spyware Terminator (which i now use for it's real-time shield), AVG 8.0 (which I just uninstalled because it has definitely made my comp slower), malwarebytes, and superantispyware. The problem is that the MAJORITY of these sites/forums were outdated (2005 and before).

I need your suggestions on whether or not I should ditch McAfee and install another (preferably free) Antivirus program, which Firewall (I currently use McAfee's) is the best, which anti-spyware I should use for it's shields (is Spyware Terminator outdated? i don't hear much about it anymore), and which other anti-spyware scanners I should download?

Thank you very much for your time and any help is appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Your Opinions on Top Antivirus and Antispyware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Your Opinions on Top Antivirus and Antispyware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This is I use

In reply to: Your Opinions on Top Antivirus and Antispyware

I think that you should ditch McAfee. My mom's new PC did come with McAfee and boy that new PC was slow even with the 1 G of RAM. I took it off and added the programs that I now use. The speed did went up a lot. At last on my and my mom's PCs.

This is the list programs that I use on my laptop and added my mom's PC. The best part they are all free Happy

Anti-virus: AVG 8 Free

Spyware scaners: Spy-bot and Malwarebytes's Anti-malware

Spyware-blocker: Spywareblaster

Firewall: Comedo Pro firewall

General cleaning: CCleaner

When choosing an anti-virus or firewall remember that you should have only have one installed at a time. However, you are able to have more than one anti-spyware installed at a time.

Those are some other ones that I have used in the past that you may want to take a look at.

Anti-virus: Avast Home Edition and Avira AntiVir Personal

Anti-Spyware: Lavasoft AD-Ware, Spyware Terminator, and Supperantispyware

Firewall: Zone Alarm

Hopefully this helps you in your choice.

Manmur

Collapse -
Is Webroot SpySweeper worth the greens?

Thanks for your help! I was not a big fan of AVG though, as I felt that it made my computer slower than necessary.

Just wondering, is Webroot SpySweeper still the "best" antispyware program out there? Should I invest in it? My subscription expired like 2 years ago, so I ran a scan on very old definitions, and surprisingly, it caught many small threats that Superantispyware, malwarebytes, and spyware terminator could not detect.

Collapse -
I wouldn't.

In reply to: Is Webroot SpySweeper worth the greens?

I don't know if Spysweeper has actually ever been the "best". Maybe once. Maybe in some folks experience. And you have to ask yourself if what it caught is really malware.

I find the use of a good AV (Avast for me.) a behaviour blocker (I use Threatfire, but there is a type of behaviour blocker, or "internal firewall", built into some software firewalls,eg: Comodo and Online Armour,) a software firewall and preferably a hardware firewall too, and some demand scanners for second opinions are adequate. Good demand scanners include Superantispyware, MBAM, Asquared, DrWeb Cureit...
I used to use SpywareTerminator. Unable to recommend it, though it has been a while since I tried it. (No need.)
Throw in a bit of immunity form the use of a HOSTS file, and/or that provided by SpywareBlaster, you have pretty solid protection.

If you installed AVG (or any other AV) with McAfee still installed - even if it was disabled - you'd get big slowdowns and conflictions. Modern AVs install at quite a deep level; they will conflict badly with each other, some more than others.

So much so that a lot of AV vendors provide a separate uninstall tool to clean up the stuff that the built in uninstaller failed to. This includes McAfee, the tool is here, should you decide to uninstall it.http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Collapse -
My 2 cents

For an antivirus and antispyware I'd go with BitDefender.
For firewall I'm trusting my Linksys router. Grin
For windows cleaning purposes CCleaner.

As a back-up you could use malwarebytes on-demand and when in doubt you can try online scanners available.

As for McAfee, Norton and AVG I can really say that they're the biggest resource hogs of all time and in that particular order also. :)) I also tried kaspersky lately, but left me with a bitter taste after I had some malware problems.

Collapse -
Comodo Tutorials/Help?

Hi again, thank you all for your opinions. I just downloaded Comodo Firewall last night and have been trying to figure out how it works (much more complicated than the McAfee firewall that I've been using for a while). Are there any tutorials or anything that'll teach a "newbie" on how to use it? If not, this was my particular question:

Defense+ constantly blocks "suspicious attempts" and displays it in the summary page. The only attempt that I have seen it block so far is an access memory attempt by a program that I trust; however, there is no option to allow any attempts by such program. I already tried adding this program into my own safe files and adding it to the new trusted application list, but Comodo continues to block it. What can I do?

Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
Do you have it

In reply to: Comodo Tutorials/Help?

in "learning" mode?

Collapse -
Training Mode

In reply to: Do you have it

You mean in training mode? Yea I had it in training mode all of last night and switched it to safe mode this morning. However, it continues to block any and all attempts by that program that I mentioned above

Collapse -
Yes,

In reply to: Training Mode

I did mean "training", sorry.
Try leaving it in that mode, you'll probably have to look through the bocked programs list (or something similar, I forget what they cal it) and manually edit the line representing that program. I remember the help files being fairly comprehensive.

Collapse -
SpywareBlaster

I followed the advise and uninstalled Spyware Terminator and in its place I installed SpywareBlaster. So far, I have never seen SpywareBlaster notify me of anything... no pop ups, etc. I was just wondering, is SpywareBlaster considered an immunity/HIPS program? If it is, I can't have/don't need to have Spyware Terminator to coexist with it right? SpywareBlaster does the same thing as Spyware Terminator or any HIPS right?

Collapse -
SpywareBlaster sets kills bits

In reply to: SpywareBlaster

and does not run in the background which makes it good. It is a blocker. You update it when there is an update which is usually every 2 or 3 weeks then you enable the protection and forgot about until the next update. It will coincide with other programs. Personally I am not a fan of Spyware Termnintor but that is your choice.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!