Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Your favorite fish?

by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 11:15 AM PDT

Which is your favorite fish (to eat that is!)? So far I haven't had any better than sea bass but since it is in danger of extiction, I refuse to eat it. But tomorrow we're having flounder here which I also love.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Your favorite fish?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Your favorite fish?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't believe everything you read ...
by Bill Osler / July 3, 2004 12:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Your favorite fish?

"Sea Bass" per se is neither threatened nor endangered as far as I can tell. The "Chilean Sea Bass" (aka "Patagonian toothfish") may or may not be threatened, but it is not presently "in danger of extiction".

There is considerable disagreement regarding the status of the "Chilean Sea Bass". For example, these show somewhat different perspectives:
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/trade/chile.pdf
vs
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/91307_seabass16.shtml

The two best dinners I have ever eaten both included fish. One, at a rather pricey restaurant in New York City, included poached halibut. The other, at a relatively inexpensive restaurant not far from Winston-Salem, included "Chilean Sea Bass" . That restaurant could not match the style of the New York City place, but the meal cost about 20% (or maybe less) what I paid in NYC. It's too bad the local chef is not capable of much consistency. I've had wonderful meals at that restaurant, but I've also had food that could best be described as "nasty". Go figure.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What was the NYC Reastaurant?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 12:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Not that it matters, but ...
by Bill Osler / July 3, 2004 12:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks Bill...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 1:11 PM PDT

I am always curious about restaurants and good places for eating. No matter if it is first class seafood or a simple local pizza parlor.
I have never had the luck to taste Halibut (AFAIK at least) but would definitely go for it one day. However I always prefer to cook myself since I am considered a good cook by most of the people who have eaten my food... No, I am not being a big shot here. I love cooking!

Collapse -
Re: Your favorite fish?
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 3, 2004 1:03 PM PDT

Pink Salmon
:
:
Halibut
:
:
King Fish
:
:
Belt Fish
:
:
Tilapia
:
:
Milk Fish
:
:
Red Snapper
:
:
Rock Cod
:
:
Can't miss the Italian made Anchovies. Happy

Collapse -
Yummie...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 1:13 PM PDT

Don't know about all of them but the Pink Salmon, King Fish, Red Snapper and rock cod are definitely good!
If you have any good recipes, please post them! As I said, I love cooking!

Collapse -
Re: Yummie...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 3, 2004 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Yummie...

Greetings CT ABB

I am actually pretty basics with the way we prepare fish.
Baked, Fried, Grilled, Sauced dishes.

Pink Salmon
Smoking it. --- Baked in Olive oil sprinkled with all kinds of herbs. --- Fillet and eat it raw (sushi style)
:
:
Halibut
Steamed -- or Baked Seasoned of course.
:
:
King Fish
Steamed
:
:
Belt Fish
Fried
:
:
Tilapia
Fried or grilled
:
:
Milk Fish
Stuffed it -- Dried it -- or Souped it. Happy
:
:
Red Snapper
Sweet and Soured (Chinese recipe) Basically Fry the fish, preparing the sauce (or you can buy it made) and throw in your veggies
:
:
Rock Cod
Crisy Fried
:
:
Can't miss the Italian made Anchovies
ummmmm Ma Ma Mia on pizza with pineapple slice, olives, spinach, and all kinds of mushrooms. Happy

Collapse -
Ancovies...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 1:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Yummie...

You should try the Swedish ones... Even better in a Swedish opinion though... LOL!

Collapse -
Re: Ancovies...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 3, 2004 2:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Ancovies...

Oh! Happy

Any brand name to look for? Post it.

I do not of any Swedish store in my area, any online store you could recommend that sells it?

Collapse -
Swedish Anchovies...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 2:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ancovies...
Collapse -
BTW...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 2:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Swedish Anchovies...

The fillets are better since you don't have to deal with the rinsing of them...

Collapse -
Re: Swedish Anchovies...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 3, 2004 3:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Swedish Anchovies...

Wow CT, your speedy Gonzales Happy

Thanks for the link. And the price are reasonable in fact cheaper than the ones I am getting. Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad to hear that! Bon Apetite!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 3:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
A recipie...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Ancovies...

If you want the recipie for Jansson's Temptation, I will be more than happy to give it to you. You will find a lot of them on the web, but none is as good as mine... LOL!

Collapse -
Re: A recipie...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / July 3, 2004 3:22 PM PDT
In reply to: A recipie...

Sounds tempting already. Happy

If it does have wine in it, I'd just removed it. But, yah go ahead and post the complete recipe.

Collapse -
Not an expert...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 4:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: A recipie...

I'm not an expert on writing recipes, but here's a try:

Heat up oven to 375/400 degrees.

Potatoes
Onion (yellow, not red)
Cream
Anchovies
Black pepper

Slice the potatoes and the onion

Put oil in at the bottom of the pan (oven pan)
Cover the bottom with potatoes, fairly thin slices. (black pepper as you like it on top of them)
Then Onions
Then anchovies
Keep doing this in layers until reaching the top of the oven pan.

Put cream (milk/half and half) until half of the pan is filled of it.

Put the pan in the oven.
Let it stay there for about 40 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
Check if the potatoes are done.
When they are, add another bit of cream/milk so you almost cover the ingredients.
Spread some bread crumbs over the top of it.

Leave it for another 10-20 minutes approx. (or until the top is brown/golden). There have to be cream or milk in the pan left... If you put too much from the beginning it'll cook "over" and mess up the pan and the oven!

Done!

Usually the recipes tell you to put all the milk/cream from the beginning. But when you do that, it'll turn out slightly dry... So it is better to add milk when it is almost done.

Collapse -
BTW. NO WINE!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 4:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Not an expert...

I'm not an expert writing the recipies, but I'm sure most of the people would like to eat it when I've made it... Wink

And one VERY important thing. This dish does NOT go with wine! It has to be beer or water! There is no wine that can be combined with this rather saltish dish!

Collapse -
Wines for fish?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 1:16 PM PDT

I have a few suggestions that I can recommend strongly (I happen to have read a few of Bill's posts and know that you are a wine fan). These are grapes and not brands of wine:

Agliamico from Italy
Negro Amero from ditto.

Awesome wines that can be hard to find, but well worth it if you can!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dare I say, tuna?
by James Denison / July 3, 2004 5:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yep!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 5:16 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Dare I say, tuna?

It's a very god fish fried and canned... But fried it tastes like a piece of pork/beef meat! It's really good just like sword fish. Unfortunately the latter has a lot of mercury in it according to most studies...

Collapse -
On second thought I'd probably have to go with...
by James Denison / July 3, 2004 5:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Yep!

Mahi-Mahi, aka dolphinfish. Very tasty fish.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Never had it... Sounds like an Asian dish.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 5:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Sounds like an Asian dish.
by jonah jones / July 4, 2004 3:36 AM PDT

made with Sunkist Tuna i believe

Collapse -
Mahi-Mahi is the Hawaian name.
by James Denison / July 4, 2004 5:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Your favorite fish?
by Evie / July 3, 2004 8:34 PM PDT

I didn't have any, but those that did at our recent Fathers' Day dinner raved: Grouper

Apparently it's pretty pricey, but I have NEVER heard anyone actually rave over a fish dinner (both my Mom and Sis are big fish eaters) so I would say for a special occasion it is worth it!

My BIL just tossed on a few spices and grilled on the bbq.

I'm more a smoked fish person myself. Does whitefish salad count? Stew Leanords sells a great one -- no sugar to muck up the taste.

Collapse -
Haven't even heard of it!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / July 3, 2004 9:04 PM PDT

Never heard of Grouper! Might try it one of these days...

Could it be your Russian (excuse me if I'm wrong) decendence that makes you like the smoked ones? I love smoked salmon and the Matje Herring and the pickled ones, and I know it is due to the fact that I am Swedish...

Collapse -
Re: Haven't even heard of it!
by Evie / July 3, 2004 10:10 PM PDT

Nope, my heritage is (eek!) closer to yours in the long haul, German in the more recent times. It is my husband is Ukrainian. The only fish dish he really enjoys is Osyletsi (Pickled Fish)

Ingredients:
2 filleted Whitefish (preferably caught while ice fishing) or 4 salt herrings
Milt (soft white roe)
2 large onions (sliced)
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 tbsp pickling spices
1 glass of dry white wine

Wash the whitefish (or herrings) fillets and soak in cold water for about 12 hours, changing the water 2 or 3 times. Wash again and cut into the size you want to serve. Place into a jar or crockery with a layer of sliced onion and some milt between the layers of fish. Boil vinegar, water, wine, spices, and additional sugar for 10 minutes. Let the boiled mixture cool. Strain and pour it over the fish. Let stand at room temperature for 3 to 4 hours. Then store in the fridge for another half day.

These are not all that unlike the pickled herring snacks you can get in the fridge section of your local grocery ... but if the right person makes them they are infinitely better homemade. Use a pungent onion and skip the sugar for starters, more vinegar and less wine too. That milt doesn't sound too appetizing. I'm pretty sure my MIL used to use a tablespoon or two of sour cream instead.

I just like smoked things. But can still enjoy a plain salmon fillet fried (it makes enough of its own oil) in a pan and sprinkled with salt. Come to think of it, I probably have a salt tooth LOL.

As to Grouper, it is apparently also called rockfish or rock cod which I believe have been mentioned. (Recipe at link although I obviously can't vouch for it)

Collapse -
Re: Haven't even heard of it!
by R Bibb / July 4, 2004 4:44 AM PDT

1/2 cup dry white wine

1 glass of dry white wine

Suppose to be or a bit heavy on the the wine? Happy

Collapse -
Maybe ...
by Evie / July 4, 2004 4:59 AM PDT

... the glass is for the cook Wink

I got this recipe online and had to do a lot of cutting and pasting to get it to make sense. Apparently the format was in two columns and when C&P'd it didn't transfer well, so I didn't catch the wine. If anyone is interested in the recipe I really like (from a neighbor of the in-laws) I can get it next time I'm over for a visit. I don't know that they use wine, traditionally it wouldn't seem like something the "old country" Uke would waste on pickling Happy

Reminds me of my classic peppermint schnapps brownies ... one shot for the brownies, a shot for Evie ... two shots for the frosting, a shot for Evie ...

Collapse -
Jewfish
by James Denison / July 4, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

Big, big Grouper.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!