HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Your computer as a heat source

by feralnetguy / July 25, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

As I write this message, my computer is cooling off with a fan. Cooling off a heated object would be a waste of energy in this GREEN environment that we live in.

Instead of cooling off the CPU, wouldn't it serve the room environment to let the heat dissipate into the atmosphere thus over time heat up the room.

Has anyone invented a computer as a heater or modified a computer to take advantage of the heat souce????

It seem to me that cooling off the cpu is such a waste of energy.

Just a thought....don't believe anybody has or will ever do something to address the heat wasted in cooling off a cpu.

Thanks for your interest!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Your computer as a heat source
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Your computer as a heat source
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You do know of course what would happen if
by critic411 / July 25, 2008 1:20 AM PDT

you didn't cool your cpu?

And isn't the fan blowing on the cpu doing what you suggested?

Collapse -
AS A HEAT SOURCE
by feralnetguy / July 25, 2008 1:42 AM PDT

I fully realize the the cooling fan is cooling off the CPU but to let the heat that has been generated by the CPU to go to WASTE instead of using it as a HEAT SOURCE.

That's the central theme that I'm trying to relate to you.

Collapse -
Again,
by critic411 / July 25, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: AS A HEAT SOURCE

isn't the fan blowing on the cpu doing what you suggested?

Collapse -
It's gonna heat up the stuff inside the computer...
by EdHannigan / July 25, 2008 1:45 AM PDT

long before having any affect on the room temperature. And that's the stuff you DON'T want heated.

If you can find away to suck taht heat out of the computer you can probably make a million. On his last computer my son had about 5 fans. The thing sounded like a jet taking off.

BTW some Macs don't need or have fans.

Collapse -
(NT) And , I thought we wanted LESS heat any way?
by critic411 / July 25, 2008 1:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
A friend of mine wanted to water-cool his computer...
by EdHannigan / July 25, 2008 10:43 AM PDT

a few years ago. Nothing ever came of it. Might have been interesting.

I wonder if he could have used the hot water for anything.

Collapse -
Water cooling is reasonably common.
by Kiddpeat / July 25, 2008 11:25 AM PDT

It's used in overclocked systems for which air cooling is not sufficient.

Collapse -
The old mainframe 380
by Diana Forum moderator / July 25, 2008 2:04 PM PDT

was water cooled. We had a 360.

Diana

Collapse -
Actually your CPU fan distributes the heat to the room...
by grimgraphix / July 25, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

Your PC fan distribute the heat to the room more efficiently.

Look at it this way. When homes used fire places exclusively for heat, the heat would be concentrated in just one place, causing people to huddle around the fire. Furniture like tall, wing back chairs served the purpose of helping to concentrate the heat for it's occupant and avoid the cavernous expanse of cold air in the room, behind him or her.

Unless you want to sit, huddled around your PC tower and freeze when you get up, your fan will actually distribute the heat of your CPU and allow you the luxury to stay warm on your trip to the fridge to get another can of Coke.

Happy

Collapse -
Valid argument.
by feralnetguy / July 25, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

Your point about huddling in one area and staying warm is with merits. The CPU wouldn't generate enough heat to heat up a room as the cooling fan would take away most of the heat in time.

I thought that maybe a rather large heat sink with no cooling fan would effectively remove the heat that the cpu doesn't need and the heat sink would be an viable heat source. But the heat would be concentrated in a small area and would be used as a personal heater rather than a room heater.

Thanks

Collapse -
Build a chair...
by grimgraphix / July 25, 2008 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Valid argument.

... where the tower is placed underneath the seat. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Welcome to SE!
by Angeline Booher / July 25, 2008 6:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe you just invented something
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2008 6:48 AM PDT

Certainly both Intel and AMD have some processors that don't perform to standards and must be scrapped. Seems like if you could hook them all up in a big enough array to fit into a furnace plenum and rig a continuous reboot of Windows through them all you'd have a nice heating block. Happy

Collapse -
Easier Said than Done.
by feralnetguy / July 25, 2008 10:24 AM PDT

It's always easy to talk the talk but when it come to actually putting the ideas forward into an working entity.... that takes a whole different level. It would be great to plug in a large heat sink onto an existing CPU and get INSTANT HEAT.

Thanks

Collapse -
I was, of course, being facetious
by Steven Haninger / July 25, 2008 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Easier Said than Done.

I truly can't see any value in under cooling a CPU as a way to control room heat, save energy, etc. Cooling of such type just redistributes heat that's going to be present anyway. Whether heat energy produced by devices in a home (other than those designed as part of the comfort system) is an asset or liability changes with the seasons but marketing has created many myths to the contrary. For instance....wrapping your hot water heater with a thermal blanket might save you a little in the summer but cost you some in the winter. It prevents heat from escaping into the house but sends a bit more up the flue. In the winter, I'd rather have the heat escaping into the house. Why, it assists the furnace a small bit by not having to run quite as long. The same goes for other appliances that aren't so energy efficient. While they waste some, it's not so severe as advertisers would have you believe.

Collapse -
Also the HD
by Dragon / July 25, 2008 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Easier Said than Done.

It creates heat, too. And if you get one of those high-end jobs, they would have to be external drives, they are so hot.

Collapse -
Actually, I have no need for heat right now. Once the heat
by Kiddpeat / July 25, 2008 10:23 AM PDT

is drawn off the CPU, it must then be cooled by the AC to keep the house cool. Fortunately, our electricity is generated by nukes, so it is not a great concern.

Someone needs to invent a way to store heat. That would give us abundant energy.

Collapse -
I remember reading an article
by Dragon / July 28, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

about how they believed they could convert exhaust into energy:

Electricity from the exhaust pipe

Researchers are working on a thermoelectric generator that converts the heat from car exhaust fumes into electricity. The module feeds the energy into the car?s electronic systems. This cuts fuel consumption and helps reduce the CO2 emissions from motor vehicles.

I also remembered another article:

"Three things can happen to light when it hits a material," says Boston College Physicist Willie J. Padilla. "It can be reflected, as in a mirror. It can be transmitted, as with window glass. Or it can be absorbed and turned into heat. This metamaterial has been engineered to ensure that all light is neither reflected nor transmitted, but is turned completely into heat and absorbed. It shows we can design a metamaterial so that at a specific frequency it can absorb all of the photons that fall onto its surface."

I wrote to one of the professors having something to do with one of these articles, and told him about the other one. He wrote back saying:

There is quite a bit of interest in this connection between an absorber and a highly efficient way to convert retained heat into energy. That is a discussion that will take place among the professors behind these projects.

I wrote back talking about the new "supercapacitor" that behaves like a battery, but can be charged up in a very short period of time.

Who knows, maybe this kind of energy could be captured somehow and converted to energy which would either help to cool a computer or to help keep a laptop charged up.

Collapse -
in my office
by tharindra1 / January 27, 2016 11:01 PM PST

my office AC is broken and cold is unbearable. it make good sense to me if i can heat up my laptop to keep my hands warm until AC is fixed

Collapse -
(NT) get an electric blanket and use it
by James Denison / January 28, 2016 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: in my office
Collapse -
Cold hands?
by JP Bill / January 29, 2016 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: in my office
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.