Computer Help forum

Question

young guy here trying to build first computer. need advice p

by trevor_forevor / February 21, 2015 12:22 PM PST

Hey I am 24. I live in North Carolina and my heart has always been in computers. I work fast food and I can afford to buy a new part every check. I would be so grateful if someone could help me with decisions on the best cheapest site to buy parts from and also which ones for the type of computer I want to build. I also have questions about my education and what field I should go into. I am very passionate about software and programming. I would appreciate anyone who would help me out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: young guy here trying to build first computer. need advice p
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: young guy here trying to build first computer. need advice p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
we don't know
by James Denison / February 21, 2015 12:36 PM PST

what type of computer you want to build.

If you just want to play around with them on the cheap, check out yard sales and thrift shops for cheap monitors and computers. Take a LIVE DVD with a Linux distro, and a LIVE USB flashdrive around to boot it up and run a command to get an idea of the computer's age and capability.

inxi -v7

at a terminal screen will give you all you need to know. Don't buy junk, don't get older than dual core computers. Linux is free operating system and there's quite a few of them.

http://www.distrowatch.com

Playing around in the guts of a computer that's all new expensive parts will turn you into a gutless wonder fairly quickly for fear of an expensive mistake. Not so if recycling and renewing some older computers on the cheap just to have fun.

Hang out at tech forums, read what seems interesting, it's haphazard method, but more fun than most structured courses. For structure, check out library books, read some online books. Above all, have fun, let it just sink in, like osmosis, you'll be surprised how quickly you learn a lot.

Collapse -
Answer
computer usage???
by renegade600 / February 21, 2015 1:32 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.