Speakeasy forum

General discussion

you want to knock someones health service?

by jonah jones / June 18, 2005 4:38 AM PDT

try the UK.....

"A road accident victim has been told by NHS staff that her waiting time for a brain scan could be cut from 18 months to two weeks if she went private.

London's King's College Hospital gave Rachel King from Kent the phone number for a private clinic where she could have an MRI scan for

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: you want to knock someones health service?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: you want to knock someones health service?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Anybody know the cost of an MRI in the US?
by Ziks511 / June 18, 2005 9:20 AM PDT

Would $1500 cover it? Its just a question for information, I don't know the answer and would like to know, so please don't attack me again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) bout that or less
by Mark5019 / June 18, 2005 9:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
I know a catscan of the lungs and kidneys runs near $800 so
by gearup / June 18, 2005 9:27 AM PDT

would think you are in the ballpark.

Collapse -
i must be living in the right country :-)
by jonah jones / June 18, 2005 3:26 PM PDT

both MRI and CAT scans are covered by our regular (basic) medical insurance, average wait for a CAT scan is 3-10 days, MRI 20-30...

Collapse -
Actually Rob......
by Glenda / June 18, 2005 1:00 PM PDT

That depends on which Lab does it! We have so many to choose from that you just shop around for the best price. And most will give a good discount for cash! My neighbor had quotes from 1500 to 600$

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Glenda. Didn't know costs varied so much.
by Ziks511 / June 18, 2005 4:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Actually Rob......
Collapse -
The topic
by ankydas / June 6, 2011 10:02 PM PDT

Hi all,
Want to know in detail about the conversation going on in this thread, as I am new to this forum.

Collapse -
(NT) a 6 year old thread, details are out of date
by jonah jones / June 7, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: The topic
Collapse -
Your question''s late.CAT Scans are cheaper than MRI's
by Ziks511 / June 8, 2011 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: The topic

** Note please ** Dates and statistics based on CIA estimates for 2011

Being based on regular X-Rays though the machines are specialized and involve multiple layers of X-Ray which are then processed through Computers to create a more detailed and better contrasted and therefore detailed image CAT Scans are simpler and cheaper when compared to MRI Machines. MRI machines are based on inverting the polarity of Hydrogen atoms which means vastly more complex magnetic machinery, vastly more information, far greater clarity and different computer processing. The reversal of polarities causes the banging one hears in the machine.

Based on a system of profit, the City of Buffalo used to have more MRI machines than the whole of Ontario, which had about 6 times or more the population. Things have changed. My wife had to wait about 3 weeks for her MRI for squamous cell carcinoma. a couple of years before that a friend needed a knee replacement , and owing to bureaucratic errors had to wait about 8 months.

The difference in rapidity of MRI's and CAT Scans, at least in Canada, is contingent upon whether the procedure would be an emergency procedure, or what is deemed an elective procedure. My wife's issue was time sensitive and potentially invasive and prone to metastasis, my friend's knee was an elective procedure, as are hip replacements and even heart bypass surgery. What that means is that it's very uncomfortable but you can get along with difficulty, but if you are careful you merely suffer discomfort until the surgery is performed. My friend with the knee says she feels as if she hadn't had a knee replacement except that she cannot flex the knee quite as completely as the other natural knee.

My wife is due for elective abdominal surgery common in 58 year old women who have not exercised sufficiently over the years. The fact she's spent the last 35 years standing on her feet hasn't helped either.

Regrettably I can't get the waiting times for you. If you're all smashed up in a car accident you'll have your MRI that day, If you come in with your leg all smashed up from a car accident you'll likely get a CAT scan immediately and an MRI as soon as possible. If you have arthritic changes to your knee and are having pain and difficulty walking you're likely to have to wait and take pills, but I no longer work in the system and therefore don't know how long you may wait. I hope Johah's figures are right for here, but I fear they're not.

As to the British issue, without reading the patient's history, I couldn't offer an opinion, not least because I am not a physician though well educated in other fields and I can learn things rather quickly, and I haven't worked there for 10 years which is a lifetime in medical technology.

The fact that certain areas in medicine are "earning centres" (Surgery, MRI Scans and other things I'm now ignorant of) rather than "Cost centres" (Long term care, Rehabilitative Medicine, much Emergency Room medicine) [Please correct me Dr. Bill] has very little long term effect on patient outcome as an entire population, though it has a great deal of effect on individual patients. Good, life long preventive care yields better results than great intervention when things go wrong.

When you go to World Statistics on Health Care, given Dollar per patient, the US should be first. It's not. It's not in the teens or the 20's or 30's. It's 50. If you want to live forever, you're out of luck but if you're still of child bearing age, move to Japan, Australia, Italy or Canada. These countries have good cradle to the grave healthcare systems.

Below you will find the CIA longevity estimates and population statistics for 2011. Many variables have been changed so that small very rich countries now show high up on the statistical analysis. The migration of the American super rich has had a profound effect on the Caribbean. The migration of the British super rich has raised Guernsey and Jersey, both tax free islands substantially. I believe the CIA used to have a cut off point in size of population below which they didn't bother, but that is no longer true. Macau, and Hong Kong are where the super rich of China go.

To explain the rating below: dposition, 1. country, Monaco. 3, Average life span to 89.73201 (6 decimal places which seems excessive to me, none or one should be enough) . Australia, and Italy are virtually tied at a little more than 1/2 year longer than the much maligned Canadian (rationed according to some) health care system. Canada, at 12th place, exceeds the US system by 3 years despite much sparser population, and only slightly less area. Canadian population is about 10% of the US population.

1Monaco 89.732011 est. 2Macau 84.412011 est. 3San Marino 83.012011 4Andorra 82.432011 est 5Japan 82.252011 est. 6Guernsey 82.162011 7Singapore 82.142011 est. 8Hong Kong 82.042011 est. 9Australia 81.812011 10Italy 81.772011 est. 11Jersey 81.382011 est. 12Canada 81.382011 13France 81.192011 est. 14Spain 81.172011 est. 15Switzerland 81.072011 16Sweden 81.072011 est. 17Israel 80.962011 est. 18Iceland 80.902011 19Anguilla 80.872011 est. 20Bermuda 80.712011 est. 21Cayman Islands 80.682011
22Isle of Man 80.642011 est. 23New Zealand 80.592011 est. 24Liechtenstein 80.312011 25Norway 80.202011 est. 26Ireland 80.192011 est. 27Germany 80.072011 est. 28United Kingdom 80.052011 29Jordan 80.052011 30Greece 79.922011 est.
31Saint Pierre and Miquelon 79.872011 est. 32Austria 79.782011 33Faroe Islands 79.722011 34Malta 79.722011 35Netherlands 79.682011 36Luxembourg 79.612011 est. 37Belgium 79.512011 est. 38Virgin Islands 79.332011 39Finland 79.272011 est. 40Turks and Caicos Islands 79.112011
41Korea, South 79.052011 42Wallis and Futuna 78.982011 43Puerto Rico 78.922011 44European Union 78.822010 45Bosnia and Herzegovina 78.812011
46Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha78.762011 47Gibraltar78.682011 48Denmark78.632011 49Portugal78.542011 50United States78.372011 est.

There is far more to this issue than these simple statistics. %Live
Births for example. I know of no statistic that measures quality of life. Canada spends a lot of money on care of the
elderly, prolonging rather pathetic lives in some cases. Again, I
repeat, I'd very much like to hear Dr. Bill Osler on this subject
(pseudonym from a famous Canadian Doctor of the 19th Century who grew up
in small town Ontario (Bond Head), not far from here, educated and later taught at McGill,
then a founder of John's Hopkins, in good ol' Ballmer "He was one of the "Big Four" founding
professors at Johns Hopkins Hospital as the first Professor of Medicine
and founder of the Medical Service there." [Wikipedia] " Regius Chair
of Medicine at Oxford, which he held until his death. He was also
an Fellow of Christ Church, Oxford." Education at McGill, studies
abroad, 10 on years on staff at McGill, 4 years at UPenn, 22 years at
Johns Hopkins, 14 years at Oxford.

Dr. Bill, please give me your demurrals regarding statistics and actual health. I have my own, but I value yours.

Andorra, number 4 on the list, used to be the only country where the national economy was listed as smuggling. I remember a much quoted statistic in the later 60's was that the Andorran National Defense Budget one year was $6.90 for one box of 9mm pistol ammunition. In the middle of the Vietnam War, that sounded like heaven.

I wonder how the current percentage of the GDP dedicated to the Military (currently 50%) would compare with that of '68, or '69, or '70?

"Looosie, you gotta lotta 'splainin' to do."

Collapse -
My wife recently underwent an MRI,...
by Paul C / June 7, 2011 7:01 PM PDT

...and we had two options. One was to go to a hospital, which would have cost $1600, with a $500 co-payment from us. The other was to go to a dedicated imaging center, which would have cost $850 with no co-payment. Guess which one we chose? Wink

It seems that in hospitals, imaging costs tend to be inflated, possibly as a way to recoup all the $ they lose from payment limitations on other services. They also have much more overhead than an imaging center, which does only one thing.

Collapse -
I had one last year for a spinal issue
by Steven Haninger / June 7, 2011 7:13 PM PDT

It turns out that I'd blown out a disc. The imaging was done twice. The Dr. didn't order it "with contrast" the first time so the neurosurgeon I was referred to wanted it done with contrast. I believe the total insurance allowance and co-pay added up to about 25% of "retail". They don't lose money so I know the charges were grossly inflated and I suspect it's part of the game played with insurance companies and a real part of what's wrong with the cost of health care. BTW, I'd had CT scans which were a piece of cake. The MRI was not fun. The requirement was for me to keep nearly perfectly still for about 35 minutes but the nerve pressure at lumbar 5, or whatever, was causing an agonizing amount of pain in my left leg. No way I could hold still for even 35 seconds. I was made to get an Rx for some dope that made me loopy enough to not care. Happy

Collapse -
that's exactly where my problem is in the back
by James Denison / June 8, 2011 1:35 AM PDT

The disc between the lumbar vertebrae 4-5. Did you get the operation? If so, did it help?

Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / June 8, 2011 2:25 AM PDT

I have a sense this might be common. Previous CT scans had shown incidental deterioration in this area but those scans were for something else. When it finally went, the symptoms were pain in the left buttock and down the leg and were severe enough to make me feel like faint. The disc protrusion wasn't from an area reachable by normal methods so they had to find another surgeon capable of using some procedure that I've forgotten the name of. It was done micro-surgically and I was out of the hospital after one day. I had to stay off work for a couple months. Actually, I returned to work about this time last year. All is much better but occasionally get some tingling or feeling of coldness in the left foot. I know not to do anything stupid. Don't want that again.

Collapse -
How long was your recovery phase after surgery?
by James Denison / June 15, 2011 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep...surgery

How did you sleep at night till healed? On your stomach? Your side? Any resulting infection? Any complications? I never had the surgery, did the pain pills for a few years till I realized they really did nothing other than momentarily at times of worst pain.

Collapse -
The recovery was 8 weeks
by Steven Haninger / June 15, 2011 6:07 AM PDT

I couldn't drive for the first two. After the 8 weeks I had a few temporary restrictions. This keep my employer from allowing me to return until all restrictions could be lifted. I didn't have much pain or any sleeping difficulty after the surgery. There were no complications. I had a bandage dressing over the sutures that I had to keep dry for 10 days or so...standard stuff. I spent one night in the hospital and was released after proving I could walk without grimacing too much.

The surgery was minimally invasive and the doctor said he used what was called the "Wiltse approach". The bulging disc was not accessible from the mid line so he had to come in from the side through muscle layers. He said it would be potentially more painful than the standard approach but I really didn't have any problems. There was no bone removal, grafting or screws. I was given Rxs for some muscle relaxant and hydrocodone but those made me feel worse than just living with a little pain. I can't imagine why anyone would want to abuse hydrocodone. The side affects are really crappy.

I'm not sure what you're experiencing or whether you've had a CT scan or MRI to confirm the issue. I know that, when I first went in, I was told that surgery is always the last option and that PT and exercises are the first. I'd had symptoms for quite some time so, when this one blew, the knife was the only way out. It's been a bit over a year now and all is fairly well.

Collapse -
I sympathize with you both. Walking is okay, but make me
by Ziks511 / June 9, 2011 5:20 AM PDT

stand around for any length of time and I get red-hot pokers working their way from my bum around my thighs to the front. When the numbness hits my feet I either sit down, or regardless of circumstance lie down until things get better. I remember spending somebody's 50th birthday conducting conversations from the middle of her living room rug. Eventually I was able to get onto hands and knees and then push myself up using a chair. I should have started stomach exercises while I was still in University.

Now I have knee pads and shuffle around the garden that way, with the odd hoist to my feet from my 6'7" gardening boss who has always kept in good shape. 6'7" and about 185 pounds or less. He's a keen golfer, and I can see the difference between the two of us because of his activity. When his yard was dug up for sewage work (on their dime !!) about 4 years ago there was a glacial erratic down in the hole and like the idiot I am, I climbed down, wrapped two arms around it, and managed just barely to get it out of the hole (I'd estimate it at 160 to 180 pounds), and then we rolled it to where he wanted it. He said I turned such a deep shade of red he though I was going to pop something right there. Oh, I did have a back brace on at the time.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?