Speakeasy forum

General discussion

You want old, I got old. 10th Century BCE

by Ziks511 / November 9, 2005 4:39 PM PST

A Is for Ancient, Describing an Alphabet Found Near Jerusalem

New York Times, Published: November 9, 2005

In the 10th century B.C., in the hill country south of Jerusalem, a scribe carved his A B C's on a limestone boulder - actually, his aleph-beth-gimel's, for the string of letters appears to be an early rendering of the emergent Hebrew alphabet.

Letters on a stone found near Tel Zayit resemble Phoenician.
Archaeologists digging in July at the site, Tel Zayit, found the inscribed stone in the wall of an ancient building. After an analysis of the layers of ruins, the discoverers concluded that this was the earliest known specimen of the Hebrew alphabet and an important benchmark in the history of writing, they said this week.

If they are right, the stone bears the oldest reliably dated example of an abecedary - the letters of the alphabet written out in their traditional sequence. Several scholars who have examined the inscription tend to support that view.

Experts in ancient writing said the find showed that at this stage the Hebrew alphabet was still in transition from its Phoenician roots, but recognizably Hebrew. The Phoenicians lived on the coast north of Israel, in today's Lebanon, and are considered the originators of alphabetic writing, several centuries earlier.

The discovery of the stone will be reported in detail next week in Philadelphia, but was described in interviews with Ron E. Tappy, the archaeologist at the Pittsburgh Theological Seminary who directed the dig.

"All successive alphabets in the ancient world, including the Greek one, derive from this ancestor at Tel Zayit," he said.

From the New York Times. Usual login and password.

This is the kind of thing that really gets my motor running. 12,000 years ago and yet connected to the alphabets we all use today. Amazing.

And I don't think the Sumerians had even had a chance to invent accounting yet.

Question: If we get an even worse Hurricane season than this last one, and they use up all the Greek alphabet, do they then go to the Hebrew alphabet as backup?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You want old, I got old. 10th Century BCE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You want old, I got old. 10th Century BCE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answer: you better hope not
by jonah jones / November 9, 2005 7:01 PM PST

Question: If we get an even worse Hurricane season than this last one, and they use up all the Greek alphabet, do they then go to the Hebrew alphabet as backup?

we only have 22 letters, and the 10th is a rude one Happy

Collapse -
The Greek alphabet has only 24 letters including
by Ziks511 / November 10, 2005 5:39 AM PST

Phoenecian/Hebrew consonants co-opted to become vowels. And there may be some that the authorities may want to avoid for some reason or another.

Of course the concept of more than 50 hurricanes in a season is a fearsome one and not to be thought on.

Hope all is well in the land of milk and honey.

Collapse -
milk is expensive, honey is yummy
by jonah jones / November 10, 2005 11:26 AM PST

"i eat my peas with honey,
i've done it all my life.
it makes the peas taste funny,
but it keeps them on the knife"....

Collapse -
Got another site, with excerpts and commentary:
by drpruner / November 10, 2005 7:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks very much Doug. always a gentleman.
by Ziks511 / November 12, 2005 6:02 PM PST

Bookmarked. I've just posted a couple of books that might interest you and Dr. Bill. Both your names are in the header.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?