Windows 7 forum

General discussion

You're all going to think I'm the world's worst dummy but ..

by Ziks511 / August 3, 2012 6:46 PM PDT

I bought a very nice HP Pavillion Entertainment Laptop 2+ years ago at what seemed to me a very nice price at a reputable retailer. It is possible that it was a store demo which had been reconditioned by HP or their agent in Canada. It had double the number of external connections, and lots of features I could see I would be using in the future, plus 4 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig HDD, and a BluRay player installed (which will be the source of a forthcoming question, eventually, since it is no longer functioning).

Trouble was, they said they couldn't find the box, which meant, no manual, and no whatever else would have been in the box.

It offers the Lock aperture, but no Locking device. This hasn't been a problem, but I'd like to have it, just in case. Any info?

Rob Boyter

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: You're all going to think I'm the world's worst dummy but ..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: You're all going to think I'm the world's worst dummy but ..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Manuals are generally available on line from manufacturers

If you'd have given the exact model, I or someone could have easily found the link. Here's an example:

HP Pavillion laptop manual

This is probably not yours but would be available by plugging in the model # into the correct search area.

Collapse -
Thanks Steve. That was sort of the answer I was expecting,
by Ziks511 / August 4, 2012 6:29 AM PDT

and I have already got a link on my browser to the correct manual for my laptop. I haven't used it much because things have gone so well until recently, and the things that haven't gone well aren't going to be in the manual i.e. hijacker and trojans which sneaked past my up to date Malware and Virus detection software.

The real question is that about the key for the Locking device.

I have never actually had occasion to use the BluRay player, even for regular DVDs, just for playback of CDs, which is now denied me. I should have made MP3s of everything I played and had that on the Computer, That was in fact my intention, to transfer all my old vinyl and CD's onto a large capacity outboard HDD, but I haven't gotten around to it.

The laptop is overdue for a thorough maintenance check, and as soon as my Pension arrears come in, I'll do just that, and have them sort out whatever is wrong. If that looks to be too expensive, I'll use the pension money to buy a new computer with a BluRay player, and therefore have two unless I give the old one to my son, who is adept at computer stuff, and also has friends who are even more so, so he can sort out the issues.

Many thanks again, Steve. This helps me to sort out my thinking on this issue.

Rob

Collapse -
Not sure what you mean by "Lock"
Collapse -
There are few with manuals today. In fact
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2012 2:46 AM PDT

So few I'm going to write there are none. Just setup sheets suitable for bird cage lining.

I see the link to the web page manual was given.

The optical drives tend to have 2 year life spans which annoys the heck out of folk. But do check the restore CDs for any mention of blu ray player software. And to head off a question, this software is NOT FREE.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob. I haven't actually used the BluRay player much,
by Ziks511 / August 4, 2012 6:36 AM PDT

and only for CD playback. As noted above in my Thank you to Steve, if it's pooched and a new computer makes more financial sense, then I may go that way, and pass along the generally functional (It''s my only computer so I'm typing this on it now) and probably completely re-workable Laptop to my son.

I had already invested in an outboard 500 Gig HDD for whatever media I had downloaded so as to keep the machine's HDD lean and quick, so there's no problem there. I won't be losing anything by clearing it of my old data after transferring it to the new comp and then passing it to him.

Thanks again for your always valuable advice. Take care, senor,
Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.